1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price for a 2F

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by BigRed87, Feb 22, 2004.

1. BigRed87

BigRed87

I am planning on swapping in a 350 and was wondering what I could get for my stock 2F. It has about 155,000 miles, rebuilt starter, new smog pump, alternator with new regulator, etc. It will come with all accessories from oil pan to air cleaner, everything I don't need for my 350 conversion will come with it. All I can tell that it needs is a new head gasket and new rear main seal (it seaps out on a few places and then burns). It might be getting a rebuild before the sale.
    What could I get for it as is right now? or with the rebuild? or would it be better to part it out?

2. brian

brian SILVER Star

if you rebiuld it then sell it, you won't get back what you put in to it.

i would say a couple hundred for it as is, and that might be a little high as it seems that it needs "fixed" before it can be ran.

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Brian is right.

It will cost more to go through it, than you would ever recoup, and it will likely cost more to ship it, than what you get for it, or anyone will pay for it...

Where are you located....

4. BigRed87

BigRed87

I am located in Seminole, TX. about 30 miles east of Hobbs, NM. It is not like it doesn't run. It is still in my cruiser right now, and runs fine, moves my 33x1250s good. but if that is the case I guess I will just part it out.

5. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    You said it needed a head gasket...Sure it may run, but you will not get anyone that knows that it needs this, and other thigns, to spend any real monies on it...

Good luck!

-Steve

6. brian

brian SILVER Star

if it's been drink'n anti-freeze, it's not going to running much longer :beer:

7. rgentry

rgentry

You say it runs fine AND it needs a new head gasket. These two things seem contradictory to me. Do you (perhaps) mean that it needs a new valve cover gasket?

8. BigRed87

BigRed87

That is what it looks like, but I am only 18 and haven't had alot of experience with engines, it may not, hell i don't know, next time its in the shop I'll have my mechanic check it out, and if it is, go through it. The only thing that is draining the radiator is the old patch that is leaking again. I will check again, the seaping might be coming out from under the valve cover.

9. rgentry

rgentry

A leaky head gasket will (usually) cause the engine to run poorly because one or more cylinders won't hold compression (do a compression test) or because coolant is leaking from the head into one of the cylinders (anti-freeze and water do not burn very well). A leaky valve cover gasket just lets oil drip down on the engine -- no real mechanical problems.

My advice to a young person would be to get a compression gage and a mechanical oil pressure gage and learn as much as you can about the 2F engine you have before you pay $3000+ for a V-8 conversion. It does not have much value outside of your LC, so use it to learn a bit about how the details of the engine.

10. BigRed87

BigRed87

Thanks for the advice and comments, it is just the valve cover gasket that is seaping out onto something down in the abyss that is hot and burning. I am still going to go with a rebuilt, or new 350 engine, for the power, abundance of replacement and upgrade parts, and even maybe a little better gas mileage.

11. rgentry

rgentry

OK go for it. Let us know how it works out for you -- I'm sure you'll have lots of questions for the V-8 conversion crowd.

12. ranger

ranger

Either way, rebuilding the 2f or swapping in a 350 its going to cost $.
    If you sell your 2F you will get around $200 for it, most people consider them boat anchors. I happen to like the F motors, they are awesome for rock crawling, but not so great on the highway. Both engines suck gas, but parts are cheaper for the 350.

13. BigRed87

BigRed87

If nobody wants it whole I'll just part it out, probably get more money back that way anyway. The new smog pump and stuff will get me a few bucks. Now all I have to do is find a 350 to stuff into my 60. Think I might try to find a mid 80's suburban that recently got a rebuild, then part out the rest of that; axle assemblies, trans, t-case if 4wd, interior except for maybe the buckets, might try to fit those into the cruiser if they are the right color.
    Thanks for the info guys.