price check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
looking for a reality check on 1996/80 with 112,XXX miles in south eastern pa. says it's loaded "with every option". i have'nt spoke with them yet, so i'm not sure if it has the lockers or not. listed at $16,650 or something in that ball park. seems a little high to me.

also what kind of "leverage" can i get if the front end service was never done(at this piont it should have been done twice ???).

anything else i should know/be looking out for? as far as i'm conserned 112k is just broke in, however this depends on how well it was mantained.

this is a private sale not a dealer sale.

A knuckle job is around a thousand dollar bill at most shops.

Just purchased a '97 LC with 114k for $10,500 needing a rear engine seal ($800) and an O2 sensor ($300). It's in above average condition with a fair amount of options (no lockers though).

I was able to get it from the original owner, who had replaced the engine due to a blown head gasket.

Not sure if it has ever received a front end knuckle job. What does this entail? At what mileage should this be performed?

I have the Black Book report for my 80 in front of me. It's a 1996, with 160K miles and it's showing the value at $16,675

I also have a lot of upgrades that may or may not be beneficial to a future buyer. Regardless, I set my asking price below the Black Book. Maybe you just need to talk to the owner

Eric,

>> ... who had replaced the engine due to a blown head gasket. <<

Ouch!!!

>> Not sure if it has ever received a front end knuckle job. What does this entail? <<
>> At what mileage should this be performed? <<

It is good practice to do the knuckles every 60k miles. Most of us bought used trucks and have been doing the first service in the 90-100k range. In many, many cases this was too long to wait and resulted in damage to the birfields, diffs, spindles, and other bits.

In the tech articles section (off the ih8mud home page) you will find a write-up by Jim Philips. The article also reference several other sources for information on doing the full front axle service. Also see semlin's post from a few months ago. I think it was titled "Uh Oh" or something like that. You can find it with an Advanced Search.

-B-

BTW, if you're checking black book, you'll likely just find numbers for Gumby's momma, Rogue's, Hltpper's, CruisinGA's and Klunky's.

If you want the blue book, that's entirely something else. ;)

I was checking Black Book prices because I was considering a trade to a dealer and wanted to see what they were going for at auctions

[quote author=brian link=board=2;threadid=9681;start=msg86509#msg86509 date=1073528117]
the bank said 96 is too old and not worth the 14,200 asking price :'(
[/quote]

I bet they will loan you say $9000 if you come up with the other $5200 :D

[quote author=brian link=board=2;threadid=9681;start=msg86509#msg86509 date=1073528117]
[/quote]

Bought my "97 (with lockers) a couple of months ago. Had 156K miles on it and paid $7500. But when I went to register the car in DMV, I had to pay sales tax based on book value of the car which according to DMV ( they use N.A.D.A. I think) was $16,500.
So yes the '96 will definitely be worth $14,200. Unfortunately banks and insurance companies evaluate these rigs differently cos of their age.

[/quote]

That is why you use a credit union for used loans :cheers:

[quote author=CruiserNow link=board=2;threadid=9681;start=msg86707#msg86707 date=1073548260]
I had to pay sales tax based on book value of the car which according to DMV ( they use N.A.D.A. I think) was $16,500.[/quote]

Dude, like what frickin fawked up state is that in? They should be using the bill of sale not some fawked up amount.

[quote author=CruiserNow link=board=2;threadid=9681;start=msg86707#msg86707 date=1073548260]
Bought my "97 (with lockers) a couple of months ago. Had 156K miles on it and paid $7500. But when I went to register the car in DMV, I had to pay sales tax based on book value of the car which according to DMV ( they use N.A.D.A. I think) was $16,500.
So yes the '96 will definitely be worth $14,200. Unfortunately banks and insurance companies evaluate these rigs differently cos of their age.
[/quote]

i paid $5,000 for my 91 a few months back, and i just got a letter from the IRS last month saying that even tho i paid $5,000 for it, and it high blue books for $8,000 they think its woth $10,500 and i owe them taxes on the extra $5,500. i still have to fight them on it. the bastards

[quote author=Budd link=board=2;threadid=9681;start=msg87110#msg87110 date=1073606609]
i paid $5,000 for my 91 a few months back, and i just got a letter from the IRS last month saying that even tho i paid $5,000 for it, and it high blue books for $8,000 they think its woth $10,500 and i owe them taxes on the extra $5,500. i still have to fight them on it. the bastards
[/quote]

Budd, I actually had to pay the tax on the higher amount ie the amount that they , the dmv, says the car is worth or else I cannot register the car.So instead of paying $450 in sales tax, I had to pay $990. Thank God I had the extra bucks in my account. When I complained, the dmv agent gave me a form and said that I could contest and maybe, just maybe, the State Tax department (notice the form is not sent to DMV) may refund portions of the tax.
In reply to Junk above, the state is CT and the Bill of sales is not enough if it is from a private owner. They will only accept the Bill of sales or receipt value for taxation if you buy it from a dealer. Reason being you could be in cahoots with the private owner and just put the figure there.

i understand about the whole cahoots thing, and even tho i paid $5,000 for i wouldn't really have a problem paying taxes on the blue book value. what i don't like is the IRS telling me that even tho my LC high books for $8,000, they think its worth $10,500 and i owe them taxes on it. if they think its worth $10,500 they can buy it, i'll even make em a deal and let it go for $9,000.

Junk , they did that in Ontario as well (book value) ..... and shudduppayourmouth !

unbelievable!
is this russia or what?
I would fight this out of principles!
grrrrr
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom