Price check on 97 LX 450 w/220K Miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
a friend of a friend is selling his 97 LX 450 w/220K Miles. He is a 4th owner. Car is in decent condition IMO but want a sanity check on it.

Carfax shows that it was in accident (front bumper replaced) before he bought it and he doesn't have records of the fixes performed. No rust. He hasn't done any major service to it since he bought it a year ago. CEL is on. It's tripple locked. Interior is in decent condition. AC doesn't work. I drove it for 15min. Brakes, Tranny and engine are working fine. Lockers work as expected. He is asking $9,000.

What do you guys think it's worth? and what should I prep my wallet for if I buy it in terms of major service I should consider? Thanks!

No maintenance records, AC doesn't work, CEL on, descent shape; I would say 6k on the high high side.
Lots of things to consider:
Front axle service, head gasket replaced, cooling system redone, AC system, brakes and driveline serviced, new tires. Those items alone could cost as much as the vehicle.

Do your best to beat the seller down as far as you can because prices are getting ridiculous the past year.

I bought my stock, never off-roaded (owner didnt know what the lockers did, and never messed with them) triple locked LX450 with around 190K miles and very good all around condition for $4500. I would shop around. I looked around a few months and I was prepared to fly to pick it up. Be patient.

Also, if he hasn't done any major maintenance, then I would expect to do a decent baseline. Replace all fluids, check on health of cooling system, and an axle rebuild. Depending on how far you go and who does the work, you can easily expect to spend $500-1500 baselining it.

I would keep looking.

I once got a 97 supercharged lx470 no rust not corrosion, 1 elderly owner, no accidents, 112,000 miles, all maintenance done at dealership as per schedule with documentarion. All services performed for $3200.

Nah, just jokes

7K would be a fair value.
I am thinking max $6,000 considering how much potentially I have to pay out of pocket to keep it running for another 80-100K.

No maintenance records, AC doesn't work, CEL on, descent shape; I would say 6k on the high high side.
Lots of things to consider:
Front axle service, head gasket replaced, cooling system redone, AC system, brakes and driveline serviced, new tires. Those items alone could cost as much as the vehicle.
Agreed. That's the common spendy list on the horizon it seems, if I do buy it.

Do your best to beat the seller down as far as you can because prices are getting ridiculous the past year.
I agree. 80 Series prices are out of wack. I saw one 97 40th edition w/280K in decent condition for $16K!!!!!. What are they smoking?

I bought my stock, never off-roaded (owner didnt know what the lockers did, and never messed with them) triple locked LX450 with around 190K miles and very good all around condition for $4500. I would shop around. I looked around a few months and I was prepared to fly to pick it up. Be patient.

Also, if he hasn't done any major maintenance, then I would expect to do a decent baseline. Replace all fluids, check on health of cooling system, and an axle rebuild. Depending on how far you go and who does the work, you can easily expect to spend $500-1500 baselining it.

I would keep looking.
Makes sense. I do need to be patient.

I once got a 97 supercharged lx470 no rust not corrosion, 1 elderly owner, no accidents, 112,000 miles, all maintenance done at dealership as per schedule with documentarion. All services performed for $3200.

Nah, just jokes
97 LX 470 supercharged w/112K for $3,200???? :confused:

I found 95 that had been baselined, had 217,000 miles, cylinder head recently replaced, 3500 miles so far has not dripped or used a pint of oil. I looked for 8 months before I found this one, and it ended up 40 miles from home. Be patience there are always deals to be found. Good luck
Oh I fogot to say that I paid $5800.00

Last edited:
Well, what are you willing to pay? Whatever that amount is, is what it is worth.

I feel like I've said this a thousand times... I've never regretted how much I've paid for a Land Cruiser. I've only regretted the ones I didn't buy. In the grand scheme of things, if you are going to drive it for 100k and that takes you 5 or 10 years than you are talking about $100-200 per year extra for it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an LX450. But that's me. I don't like the body cladding and don't want to deal with it. Plus, I don't want someone's used pink panties. :cheers:

Well, what are you willing to pay? Whatever that amount is, is what it is worth.

I feel like I've said this a thousand times... I've never regretted how much I've paid for a Land Cruiser. I've only regretted the ones I didn't buy. In the grand scheme of things, if you are going to drive it for 100k and that takes you 5 or 10 years than you are talking about $100-200 per year extra for it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an LX450. But that's me. I don't like the body cladding and don't want to deal with it. Plus, I don't want someone's used pink panties. :cheers:
I don't like the body cladding either. Just buy an 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom