For Sale Price check. 1972 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Red
Hey guys. So quick question. Somehow I managed to see an old fj40 almost completely hidden in a garage in my neighborhood the other day. Been past house 1000 times before but it was hidden beneath so much crap I never saw it until the other day. Promptly walked over to my neighbor to get the story. Old guy says he bought it off guy who had let it sit up for 20 years in barn in AL. He bought it 15 years ago. Got it running then clutch went out 10 or so years ago and he parked it where it now sits. Could not crawl all over it but it appears stock. Very minor surface rust from sitting. Hard top lost years ago but still has hard doors and soft top in attic?? Clock says 66 and some change. He says it’s correct. After market wagon wheels and SOR roll bar with long jump seats installed. Triple front seats looks good with one hole in vinyl. My question is I would like to make him an offer. His wife wants it out of garage bad. I don’t want to offend him or rip him off. I have been out of 40 game for awhile and moved on to 60s. Knowing it’s not currently running and the amount of work it may take....any thoughts on what would be a fair offer??? Thanks in advance

IMG_8445.jpg

Who doesn't like an old blue Fj40? There is much work to be done in rust repair alone. It really comes down to price and your intentions for the vehicle. Personally, I would make sure it is SAFE to drive, fix the mechanicals and leave it as is. It could look rough but be reliable enough to drive to hell and back. You will be spending several thousand to get to that point if your lucky.

If your plan on a full restoration you will save time and money buying something in better condition from the start. If his price was in the 5k range and drivetrain looked ok I would take a closer look. Someone may pay more because it does not look molested too bad.

Alright guys, I bought the thing. We went back and forth on a price but landed at 7k. A bit more than I'd hoped for but I don't think I'll be seeing an opportunity like this for a while. She also has a bunch of other odds and ends that come with it like the original rims. She had a few other people making offers higher than mine but I was the only one that just wanted to buy it and get it running again (she wasn't blowing smoke, they were also looking at it with me there). The others just wanted to flip it.

I'm hopefully going to get it over to my place this weekend. I'll start up another thread when it happens.

Anyway, I guess RIP to my wallet! 😅

Also...Project Wrong Way...that guy is hilarious.

Oh wait.. You’re not the OP located in SRB. Doh!

Congrats either way!

@rainingagain ,

Yes, you should create your own thread to avoid bruising the original poster's feelings. It costs you nothing, and separates 2 different situations so none of us get confused. You're new and easily understood. Where it gets dicey is when someone offers something for sale and then another person states they have the same part for sale, and at a cheaper price !

Most folks on Mud are friendly and kind, but.........................there are some stinkers !!!

Yeah....my original post was somewhat hijacked but no worries. I enjoyed all the comments and story lines. Glad rainingagain got his 40.

Ok guys.....finally got back over to my neighbors to grab some pics. See attached. Got him to throw me out a number and he said 10k. Way too much for me considering it has been sitting for ten years and he said that for sure the clutch and the brakes are shot. He said that he started it up about a year ago?? Nice thing is from what I could see there was no rust(other than surface). So take a look and let me know what you think price wise would be a fair number to try and talk him down to??
A28C0AF6-7D15-48AA-8454-54F27D08ACD5.jpeg
E4B9E334-4B9B-4F0D-948B-9275E466D079.jpeg
15F7BA91-7D3A-42E3-80F0-EB30253BAB9D.jpeg
15F7BA91-7D3A-42E3-80F0-EB30253BAB9D.jpeg
90C3D8CE-4A62-4CFC-A354-3F9E6FAF751C.jpeg
90C3D8CE-4A62-4CFC-A354-3F9E6FAF751C.jpeg
3EB2425D-2C95-491D-B980-84456D47D343.jpeg

Looks no bad for project.
You will need:..
front and rear axles re-seal and/or rebuild,..
steering box leak and need rebuild,..
fuel tank leak ?
new shocks?
check frame
engine ..??. turns? start? compression? ,...
floor rust? hard top include? condition ?
As for me 10K is way too much,.. for the project, what will take all systems so much attention.. maybe 5-6K?

Last edited:
Do you think he’d agree to get it running before you negotiated on a price? If it runs good with good compression, I don’t see $8-10k that unreasonable if it’s truly rust free and you can do some work yourself.

I'm thinking because it is 10k in CA, they will eventually sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom