Previous owner Headlight mod - WTF? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DanInDenver

GOLD Star
Threads
Previous owner installed some very odd headlights into the standard housing. In doing so they tapped into the headlights by removing the back. This of course defeats the purpose of the seal and allows water, dirt and bugs into the light housing.
The bulb used is unfamiliar to me. It’s light output is worse than the standard halogen bulbs. Very dim.
The bulbs are wired into this Opti 7 Canbus.
Gonna be fun unwinding this mess and getting them back to stock.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ballast may be taking a dump

Second picture rubber bellows does nothing for this and I don’t believe is native to an LX. Last photo shows the plastic cap that should connect via wires to the bulb. It fits to the back of the headlight and seals the fixture and bulb.

Returning to stock might be just as expensive as fitting proper HID parts. I'd browse through Lou's thread (LX470 HID RETROFIT PROJECTOR BRACKET) to see about how it should have been done. That way you could at least make an educated guess about what you have and which direction you want to go.

Stock is usually a significant step backwards in terms of output, but that's only when comparing two working systems.

Strongly, strongly recommend retrofitting HID projectors (like Morimoto Mini H1) into the lamps if you want to do HID bulbs correctly. With the OEM halogen projectors the HID beam pattern is very spotty and unfocused. HUGE, HUGE improvement with the correct projectors.

Lou's brackets make it simple, just some work involved pulling apart the lenses and bolting in the new projectors.

have no fear running HID kit in LX projectors. They work and work pretty well and even better when you ditch the AHC since the cut off beam won't change on you. Yes the retrofitting is better but is it worth the time and cost vs $50 light upgrades? I don't think so.....

these are 35w 5000k set of DDM hid kit, had them for 3+ years now and still going strong
50456730948_a3d51a8717_b.jpg

You are running the DDM kit on the LX stock projectors? Looks great!

have no fear running HID kit in LX projectors. They work and work pretty well and even better when you ditch the AHC since the cut off beam won't change on you. Yes the retrofitting is better but is it worth the time and cost vs $50 light upgrades? I don't think so.....

these are 35w 5000k set of DDM hid kit, had them for 3+ years now and still going strong
50456730948_a3d51a8717_b.jpg

You are running the DDM kit on the LX stock projectors? Looks great!

yup 35watt, I didn't want to blind folks running lifted truck and 55watt kit haha. picture is pointed slightly up hill a lil and off camber but shows the cut off lines are clean and projection is good of usable light pattern. I have a 01 w/ glass head lights. I'm not sure if there was a projector change when they went to plastics housings.

$15 nokya 3500k yellow bulbs in the factory fogs are showing that yellow up front w/ limited throw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom