Preventing rust spread-FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve noticed over the last two months I’ve got some patches of rust that have started to develop in my rear wheel wells. I want to get on top of it and stop it from spreading.
Any ideas or recommendations?

914337BC-51C2-42FC-A892-AA69516C61FB.jpeg

8AE9D59E-42F9-4F21-AC2F-FF5BD8CFCDAC.jpeg

22452C1E-D842-4036-A4F8-53838AB19375.jpeg

Wire wheel on a corded drill, some Por-15 and then paint to match the surrounding areas. That's pretty minor rust so it should keep for a good long time. I've got some that's bordering on cancer so I really need to get on it.

I'm about to tackle a similar project to the photos above, actually less rust luckily (think) I'm planning on tackling it with drill/wire wheel and wire brushes.

I'm planning to treat it with Ospho (already have some) or Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Then a Rustoleum topcoat (not their rubberized undercoating) but consider POR15 too.

Any thoughts on RAPTOR 2K ANTI-CORROSIVE EPOXY PRIMER AEROSOL and RAPTOR 2K BEDLINER AEROSOL for wheel wells?

I've got similar stuff going on. All I did was get some Fluid Film and sprayed it on a paper towel and wiped down the area with it. It's not permanent, obviously, but I don't really want to go wire-wheel/repaint route right now.

Whatever you "paint" on those edges is just going to get chipped off again. There isn't any significant rust on those spots, the gray primer is intact. It's the white topcoat that's been chipped off.
Really the best way to protect and repair those edges (on a white cruiser) is get some white anti skid friction tape and trim it to size to lie along that edge. The tape will provide a water barrier and act as a strong shield for future rock chips.
My old cruiser was developing those chips decades ago from lots of off road driving. After I taped them up, no more chips ever again and it never rusted even 25 years later.
Also, on a white cruiser, the tape is almost invisible.

I think every 60 series looks like that - including mine. In a mild climate, it's not a must-hurry deal, but in a salty climate, it can get bad quickly. I would carefully touch up the chips with a fine brush and maybe grease them in the winter, even though it looks ugly.

If you grind all that factory paint and primer off, you won't get as good a primer coat back on as the factory applied. I would leave the factory paint alone.

These chips will come back. I have BFG AT tires and live on a dirt road, and it's just the nature of the beast.

All depends on how much u want to spend. If it were me, I'd have it fixed right (re painted) then go to a window tint/car wrap company and have them put a protective film over it. Seeing your post and realizing I have some dirt roads to traverse to my land got me to thinking this may be best approach.

Any thoughts on RAPTOR 2K ANTI-CORROSIVE EPOXY PRIMER AEROSOL and RAPTOR 2K BEDLINER AEROSOL for wheel wells?

I think the bedliner idea might be a good way to go. Toyota mechanic I ran into recently used black bedliner to paint the frame of his 1st generation 4runner. Several years later and it still looks real good.

There are also clear, impact-resistant spray coatings you can apply (or can be applied by a body shop) that might look better. They will affect the paint appearance, but not as much as (black) bedliner.

In my case, considering bedliner only for the wheel wells not arches. I’ve used automotivetouchup.com products with good results for paint issues

No to POR-15. It is not good. Rust will form under it and you won't know till its too late. I sanded my 60 down clean. Used the prep products and followed the directions. I barely had rust and removed it all. I used POR-15 all over my cruiser as a tough primer, then used their products to adhere paint too. Rust formed under their paint.

It's a load of crap that it blocks oxygen and prevents rust. It is no better than rustoleum or such rust paint. Save your money.

For wheel wells if you can spray a corrosion inhibiting oil and it will prevent rust for a long time. Every time you wash it, you can spray a little more oil. Rust check or LPS 3 is good. The dust will stick to it, but it won't rust any more.

IMG_7565.jpg

IMG_7561.jpg

Oh I had to strip my hood to 100 % bare to clean it up. The rust was under the paint, and it forming. You could not tell where the rust was.

Currently I used rust converter after I removed the rust using a wire wheel or sander and chemical rust removers. The rust converter turns the rust black. Then I put on a rust inhibiting primer like Duplicolor, and top coat with duplicolour high build enamel. I cannot spend more money on paint, since I don't feel it would last forever as the rust keeps coming back on cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom