Preventative BEB replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gentlemen,
I own a 92 JDM 80 series with 1HDT turbo.
She runs great.
Has 98k Kilos which is around 61k Miles.
Through conversation and reading archived threads, it hads been suggested to replace the BEB and timing belt.

I called a local diesel mechanic and he said that if it is running fine, leave it.
That I am welcoming new problems to a vehicle that is working and happy.

Replace BEB or leave alone?

Still looking for good diesel mechanic within 100 miles of NYC.

I doubt your local diesel mechanic has ever heard of a 1HD-T.

Do some searching and you'll see what happens if you roll the dice and lose. This issue has essentially been beat to death, you aren't going to get anything out of this thread that hasn't already been discussed.

Ok.
I have ordered the parts for replacement.

How many miles before BEB replacement after these new ones go in?

Its recommended to do them every 100000klms . With JDM imports , the odds of getting one with a wound back speedo is likely. So your BEB maybe closer to replacement than you think.
Disregard your mechanic unless he has 1st hand knowledge.
Did you buy the ACL bearings? Reputed to be tougher than Toyotas.

Many a BEB has been replaced prematurely, and many a 1HD-T running around with the original 25 yr old BEBs a multitudes more than 60k km on them

You could get a used oil sample analysis done to check for signs of white metal bearing material in the oil.

There is obviously a risk in running them unchecked, but there is also a risk of damage or F-up every time you open up an engine.

Hi.
Thanks for the responses.
I got the Toyota bearings.
I spoke to a person familiar with the 1HDT and he recommended Toyota bearings.

Welcome to MUD. I'd be extremely careful about who you select to work on you HDJ. Most mechanics will have never seen one and there have been some completely catastrophic failures involving improperly installed parts. As for bearings, most run Taiho's, MUD searching is your friend.

You can get a set of Taihos and bolts for $99 shipped from Amayama.com
Search the original part number for the bearings 13041-17010 and the taihos R707A will come up. The bolt part number is 13265-17010 (you need 12).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom