Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I accomplished things today!
  1. Steering damper
  2. Rear diff oil
  3. Oil change
  4. Hood struts
  5. Side mirrors (no more floppy ears)

I posted a teaser pic earlier but finally finished the job tonight. Wish I was testing the new meats on the Vday run!

Here’s the full story in painful detail :flipoff2:...

I wanted TRD Pro wheels ever since I saw them on @torfab ‘s 62— it’s the only 60 series I’ve seen with them. I pestered him about fit and learned he runs the Tundra brake upgrade and an 80 axle in rear so he’s got extra clearance. I knew most 4runner wheels don’t fit without spacers on stock 60 axles so thought I was SOL.

I’ve read this thread several times and looked at wheel options for probably 2 years. I wanted something modern, understated, not 16”, suitable for a pizza cutter tire, and that allowed for a wide tire selection for the forseable future.
I didn’t want 16” because I swore off E load tires after they ruined the ride on my Discovery 1 I owned several years ago and there are little to no options for a 16”/non-E.

After market wheels that would tuck in the fender, were alloy, would fit without spacers, weren’t black, and didn’t have fake beadlocks/rivets were non-existent at this point except for the FN Wheels Countersteer Type X. I liked them a lot but for some reason I didn’t 100% love them and couldn’t pull the trigger. Also, they recommend machining the hub bore so more $$. Was just going to stick with the stock wheels.

Then I realized the TRD Pro wheels’ specs weren’t that different from the Countersteer. 17x7” (fine width for my goals) and offset of +5mm/4.2” backspace. Regular 4Runner wheels are more like +20mm/4.5” backspace. So I went on a quest to test fit them and managed to get in touch with a willing local TRD pro owner. The test fit was a success despite 15 degree weather! However, I didn’t want to torque lug nuts on his wheel or put weight on it just in case.

Then I ordered my own single wheel and fit one of the tires I had scored. They are brand new BFG MT takeoffs from a Jeep JK Rubicon. All 5 for $350. Tested it out and even drove it around the neighborhood like a doofus to make sure the tie rod didn’t hit. After seeing so many issues on the wheels that fit thread in the 60 forum I was really, probably overly, cautious.

Great news! Got the remaining wheels in Wednesday night and had everything mounted up tonight. Might run the rear cap-less, don’t love the red TRD. They fit perfect and drive great! If Toyota remade the 60 today this is how it should come from the factory.

Wheels: OEM TRD Pro 4Runner wheels, PTR20-35110-GR
Lug nuts: OEM 4runner/Tacoma, 90084-94002
Tire size: 255/75r17, ~32.1x10.0”
Spacers or other wheel modifications: none
Lift: good condition stock springs with Old Man Emu greasable shackles

First test fit (remember to paint your 555 TREs before installing :rolleyes:)

Second test :hillbilly:

Final product

Last edited:
I posted a teaser pic earlier but finally finished the job tonight. Wish I was testing the new meats on the Vday run!

Here’s the full story in painful detail :flipoff2:...

I wanted TRD Pro wheels ever since I saw them on @torfab ‘s 62— it’s the only 60 series I’ve seen with them. I pestered him about fit and learned he runs the Tundra brake upgrade and an 80 axle in rear so he’s got extra clearance. I knew most 4runner wheels don’t fit without spacers on stock 60 axles so thought I was SOL.

I’ve read this thread several times and looked at wheel options for probably 2 years. I wanted something modern, understated, not 16”, suitable for a pizza cutter tire, and that allowed for a wide tire selection for the forseable future.
I didn’t want 16” because I swore off E load tires after they ruined the ride on my Discovery 1 I owned several years ago and there are little to no options for a 16”/non-E.

After market wheels that would tuck in the fender, were alloy, would fit without spacers, weren’t black, and didn’t have fake beadlocks/rivets were non-existent at this point except for the FN Wheels Countersteer Type X. They’re featured earlier in this thread and were my realistic choice. For some reason, I didn’t 100% love them though. Also, they recommend machining the hub bore so more $$.

Then I realized the TRD Pro wheels’ specs weren’t that different from the Countersteer. 17x7” (fine width for my goals) and offset of +5mm/4.2” backspace. Regular 4Runner wheels are more like +20mm/4.5” backspace. So I went on a quest to test fit them and managed to get in touch with a willing local TRD pro owner. The test fit was a success despite 15 degree weather! However, I didn’t want to torque lug nuts on his wheel or put weight on it just in case.

Then I ordered my own single wheel and fit one of the tires I had scored. They are brand new BFG MT takeoffs from a Jeep JK Rubicon. All 5 for $350. Tested it out and even drove it around the neighborhood like a doofus to make sure the tie rod didn’t hit. After seeing so many issues on this thread I was really, probably overly, cautious.

Great news! Got the remaining wheels in Wednesday night and had everything mounted up tonight. Might run the rear cap-less, don’t love the red TRD. They fit perfect and drive great! If Toyota remade the 60 today this is how it should come from the factory.

Wheels: OEM TRD Pro 4Runner wheels, PTR20-35110-GR (also available in black)
Lug nuts: OEM 4runner/Tacoma, 90084-94002
Tire size: 255/75r17, ~32.1x10.0”
Spacers or other wheel modifications: none
Lift: good condition stock springs with Old Man Emu greasable shackles

First test fit (remember to paint your 555 TREs before installing :rolleyes:)View attachment 1905545View attachment 1905546

Second test :hillbilly:View attachment 1905547

Final product
View attachment 1905551
View attachment 1905551View attachment 1905550
Those look great!

Looking good keeps it classy! I agree the red TRD looks a little off. (But I would keep them on) Maybe if it were black or color matched.

Or paint the truck red!

Replaced the rear hatch weather stripping and sealed up the holes where the rear quarter belt molding attaches to under the rear windows. I'm hoping this stops the water getting in the rear cargo area. If this doesn't do it next up will be the weather stripping for the rear sliding windows but I really don't want to pull those out.

I fixed my remote start on the Tundra and put some strip lights on the bottom of the doors to see the steps in the dark.

Primed the 4Runner sliders

Not pictured: reinstalled the 3rd member into the 40. Installed 48” led work light bulbs into over my work bench as a trial run for led lights. I like them! They are nice and bright.

Last edited:
Spent the morning dealing with my first flat on my new tires. Screw in tread area. I have a plug kit but no matter how much I reamed the screw hole (laugh it up) I could NOT get the plug to go in. Ended up just changing the spare in. I’ll need a proper patch job. I’m pretty sure I picked the screw up at the dump. This is some BULL $/-/!T

When you go to get it fixed make sure the shop unmounts the tire and both plugs and patches it from the inside. NTB used to do this but that's back when I was a tire tech in high school so who knows what they do now. A lot of shops will just plug it from the outside like you were attempting to do.

Dropped it off at Virginia Tire. They at first said they wouldn’t do it because I had attempted to plug it. I gave those commies some of my mind so they are doing it while I’m at Jiujitsu. I’ll pick it up after I’m done. It is a plug/patch. I think it’s 30 bucks. Seems like a good price but it’s the first place I checked and the closest to where I was.

On the list for the next batch of Tough Dog shocks that come over from Australia. 7-8 weeks 🤞.

Also hope to get my exhaust sorted soon.

Last edited:
Still getting water in the jack bracket. I guess I need to come out here while it's raining and see if I can source the drips.

Finally got a chance to do the 7 Pin mod on my rig. I figure it should help on those tight turns on the Back Bear Pass Shmukster is planing for later this year :) . Also, has any of you seen a good cargo platform/solution for an 80 with no second row seats? I'm thinking of removing mine to save some weight ( have a RTT , awning and a roof rack on works and I was realty struggling at altitude in CO last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom