Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, you're both right. @mwalls54 & @jcj_78FJ40.
1971/2 302 box Bronco. It was in dire need of new poly bushings and shims upfront. A beautiful truck. The owner is the owner of our favorite local brewery, Sinistral in DT Manassas. I said "yeah, no problem, it'll be easy I dig this stuff". It really is quite simple. I came up with a couple other easy wins to help him out. oil pan gasket and differential end u joints replacements.
It really is fun.

20180715_201132.jpg

Toyota Going Places!!!!!!!!

That Fords cant get to

Does anyone have any experience with the evergreen 22re heads? I assume they're chinesium, but having a ready to slap on new head v a 300k mi yota head that needs machining has it's benefits for project time constraints. I'm pretty sure the head gasket that had come with my engnbldr kit failed after 7k mi, so I'll cough up the coin and get a Toyota gasket.
Just wondering if the evergreen parts are terrible, or are they functional on an old engine?

Last edited:
I just went to take the 40 out for a spin and there's mold/mildew all over the interior. It's coming off with a rag rag Armour All but this is the first time I've come across this. It even formed on the metal. I'm thinking it forced on the dust on the metal but still. Anyone come across this before? Would a trail top avoided this or make it worse?

It's the humidity and is likely more prominent on surfaces where skin touched or sweat. I learned this while in Japan. The key is air flow and sunlight. The best would be a humidity controlled building. Was it under the overhang of the barn?

Yeah it was under the overhang. Come to think of it I definitely drove it about a month ago. It's all over every surface. Under the seat even.

IMG_20180920_164528331.jpg

Anywhere anything has been spilled or, like Stump says, anywhere we leave behind residue... I got kids, I see this often.

We just got through a week of rain and stupid humidity. The dew doesnt usually fall on it under the over hang but these might have been extenuating circumstances. I can even see it under the tank cover and the fuel line covers.

It probably doesn't help that it's in the dark shed with no air movement. Just have to drive it more.

Trollhole just PMed me back about my trail cover. May get it before snow flies!

I am trying to replace the brake booster on my FJ62 and I have discovered that the new and old units are different. The rebuilt unit from Cardone has a rubber grommet in the booster body, similar to that used for a PCV valve, and I am assuming a metal elbow is supposed to be pushed into this grommet which the vacuum hose would then be attached to. However, the unit now in the truck has a permanently affixed vacuum port. Anyone know which is stock? Anyone know where I could source the elbow?

IMG_1388.JPG
IMG_1389.JPG

I am trying to replace the brake booster on my FJ62 and I have discovered that the new and old units are different. The rebuilt unit from Cardone has a rubber grommet in the booster body, similar to that used for a PCV valve, and I am assuming a metal elbow is supposed to be pushed into this grommet which the vacuum hose would then be attached to. However, the unit now in the truck has a permanently affixed vacuum port. Anyone know which is stock? Anyone know where I could source the elbow?

View attachment 1795554 View attachment 1795555
Any scrap yard, the 80 series uses the elbow and grommet too as do most Toyotas of similar vintage.

View attachment 1795554 View attachment 1795555

Hopefully, someone has an old booster from an FJ80 with that elbow.

Hopefully, someone has an old booster from an FJ80 with that elbow.
I hope I'm not sending you on a goose chase here. The j60 uses an inline check valve. The 80 series uses this elbow as the check valve.

Screenshot_20180923-100337.png
Screenshot_20180923-100327.png

I think you should send it back and get the proper booster.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom