Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some layout fluid, dial calipers and a drill press. I’m now convinced this is more trouble than it’s worth. Next time I’ll buy new flanges with the correct pattern.

View attachment 1625601
Meh, your over thinking it. I drilled mine for at least 3 different patterns using the yokes as a template and a transfer punch. Much cheaper than those multi drilled flanges that seem to never be in stock.

Last edited:
Built myself a smoke generator using tiki torch wick, heating element wire for a hookah pipe and mineral oil.

1can.jpg

2inside.jpg

4gauge.jpg

6system.jpg

7smoke.jpg

Meh, your over thinking it. I drilled mine for at least 3 different patterns using the yokes as a template and a transfer punch. Much cheaper than those multi drilled flanges that seem to never be in stock.

Yeah... you're right; I did. My last step was your 1st step. I used the yoke to check my scribe marks were aligned before drilling. I'm actually using these for the transfer case. So, I'm pressing in studs. If I were drilling the differential flanges I wouldn't have been as sketched out to use the yoke as a template.

Yeah... you're right; I did. My last step was your 1st step. I used the yoke to check my scribe marks were aligned before drilling. I'm actually using these for the transfer case. So, I'm pressing in studs. If I were drilling the differential flanges I wouldn't have been as sketched out to use the yoke as a template.

I gotcha.

Flushed the ps fluid in my truck and replaced with fresh ATF dex/mec.

Happy to report that this morning there were no whinning noises on cold/freezing start up. So it was not a belt, but my ps pump needing some love. I could have swore it waa a belt, so I was not expecting the ps flush to resolve that. It feels great to start the morning with a (silent) victory:clap:!

Finished up work on the LX450; rebuilt the knuckles with new trunnion bearings, new and extended brake lines and front rotors with hawk pads. Crap that took a long time but it was worth it. Now it stops like it should, the brakes grab hard enough to make the 35" tires squawk a little!

Finished up work on the LX450; rebuilt the knuckles with new trunnion bearings, new and extended brake lines and front rotors with hawk pads. Crap that took a long time but it was worth it. Now it stops like it should, the brakes grab hard enough to make the 35" tires squawk a little!
What are "hawk" pads? And what rotors did you use?

Hawk brand HPS street brake pads brake pads and OEM rotors. I also have Akebono proact pads for the rear that are waiting to be installed.

I originally planned to get 100 series for the front but thru a combination of being out of stock or not available I ended up with the combination I got.

I installed Akebono pads to all 4 corners on my outback and was surprised that I could really tell the difference, I also added centric cryo treated rotors to the front. The only reason I spent the extra $$ for the Subaru is that I tow with it and the rotors have a coating to prevent corrosion to the non braking surface. I got 100k miles out of the original Suby pads and rotors, time will tell how the aftermarket stuff holds up.

Hawk pad link on tirerack:

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bra...us&autoModel=LX450&autoYear=1997&autoModClar=

Akebono pads:

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bra...us&autoModel=LX450&autoYear=1997&autoModClar=

Finally wrapping this up today... drilled the flanges, pressed studs into newly drilled pattern & test fit with the drive shaft yoke.

98101525-36CD-44CD-8407-F927AE50F5C5.jpeg

Built a jig to bend steel rod... It's a work in progress, but it worked well enough to bend 5/16 rod to fix the busted passenger seat lower bolster. I need to pick thinner passengers...
IMG_20180211_172340.jpg

IMG_20180211_173640.jpg

Finished up putting a proper anchor point on the front of the 40. It bolts to the frame as well as welded to the bumper.
My vertical welding has never been pretty, but it helps to have a 210 machine and lots of steel to weld to.
IMG_20180211_184209.jpg
IMG_20180211_184216.jpg

Last edited:
Finished up putting a proper anchor point on the front of the 40. It bolts to the frame as well as welded to the bumper.
My vertical welding has never been pretty, but it helps to have a 210 machine and lots of steel to weld to.
View attachment 1631165 View attachment 1631166
It looks like you’re running out of stuff to do on your 40 so I will bring mine by LOL! ;)

It looks like you’re running out of stuff to do on your 40 so I will bring mine by LOL! ;)
Ha! Oh, the list is long... I'm in no danger of running out of projects, but I do like to take breaks from monkeying on my truck to monkey on someone else's. :wrench::grinpimp:

Wired up the electric transfer pump from@emorth and changes the 4skinners fluids.
Shure beats the hell out of the old 5 gallon hand pump.
IMG_20180219_171742.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Stump I'd love to have one of these but from what I see they're expensive! Does yours have NPT of British Standard threads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom