1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pressure washer safe for paint on l?c or any car?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by 92FJ, Jul 23, 2005.

1. 92FJ

92FJ

I just bought a New electric Pressure Washer with 1400 PSI max power. I would like to know if this much can damage a cars paint or like strip it off or fade it down? I have been doing some light Off-roading laterly and am sick and tired of scrapping the mud off of the undercarriage and body by hand that has been backed by the sun. Any input'?

2. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

I would get a tip for the wand designed for washing cars.

3. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

used one once, it just did away with some plastic tape striping I had on that vehicle. Was a more powerful gas one though.
    All the same I'd go real careful the first time.

4. LandyLover

LandyLover

I would not use a pressure washer on a car because it forces water into places it would never normally go. If you have a paint chip on your hood, or a bubble, you'd be asking for trouble. Also, you can push dirt and crap into your seals and bearings when spraying under the truck - not a good idea. I would use a good ol bucket of suds and hose.

5. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

I sure wouldn't trust using one on a vehicle unless it was just on the bottom side. On my old Mazda I stripped off paint from some of the plastic parts just with a regular coin carwash wand. It looks to me like my gas pressure washer puts out way more than one of those.

6. OZCAL

OZCAL

I use the car wash pressure wash wand, but I stand waaaaaaay back. Still get a lot of water flow, but not nearly the pressure.

7. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

Just play around with the nozzle selection..choose the one that is the least amount and go from there...the gas one i have, its stripped the wood on my deck when power washing the deck.

8. Critter

Critter

Our belt driven pressure washer (w/ honda gas motor) will etch concrete with the right nozzle.

9. apcoleman

apcoleman

I have a 3200 psi gas one and I use it to spray my truck but I use a 65 degree nozzle. Plus I stand pretty far back but have had no problems with my paint.