Pressure Plate to Flywheel- Bolt goes POP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yep. Finally get the torque wrench from a guy in the office and start tightening the first bolt last nigt to 35ft/lb and it breaks in the flywheel. :mad: Now what do I do?

How should I try to get the threaded part of the bolt out of the flywheel? :confused:

Where can I get new 12" bolts for this? (have looked at Ace and Lowes and havent found them) :confused:

That is the right torque right? Can't find the specs in any manual I have.

As always, thanks guys for your help. :beer:

dude that sounds like fun. have you tried to get the bolt out with an ease out?

you might need a harder bolt for that. i usually get my bolts from napa or carquest and just ask for a harder grade bolt. good luck with that.

I was installing the pressure plate to the flywheel. I will try Toyota for the bolts. Thanks guys.

Shounld I try to dremel a notch in the bolt so that I could try to unscrew it out?

I had the same thing happen on my 65 FJ40, twisted the head right off the bolt. I pulled the flywheel and found an easy out to pull what was left of the bolt out. I then on a whim put my finger on the little bit of the bolt that was sticking out of the flywheel and it twisted out with no problem. :) The bolthole was drilled all the way through the fly wheel.

We have a good Ace Hardware here that carries a good stock of metric bolts and I replaced all of them at this time.

BTW the motor is an F motor out of a 72

Once I broke 3 of them bastids on one install. Trouble was that I don't remember why but the whole thing was all buttoned up so I couldn't just pull the flywheel. Anyhoo, I fought with them for 3 days and fawked up about 5 bits and broke at least 3 EZ outs off inside the bolts (those are nearly impossible to drill through) and had the dremel strewn out and had to run to the store a couple times for special stones. Ended up getting 2 replaced and said fawk it and drove around with one missing for the next 2 years.

Moral of the story: Always replace critical bolts with new ones before you torque em down.

:beer:

Lesson learned! As always, the hard way!

I wanted to push the damn cruiser into the alley and torch it after the bolt broke. I was steaming.

sremt the pressure plate bolts supposed to be torqued to somthing like 20lbs? if not then i need to go re do mine.

The pressure plate to flywheel bolts do not have a lot of torque on them. They were not graded bolts from the factory. Take it easy torquing them down as they won't take much.

Onl my old cruiser tha PO didn't torque down the bolts properly. After a year of me driving a few started comming out on my way home from college. Not a fun experience. Lots of vibrations and I ended up screwing up the clutch and flywheel. It had completely worn off 3 of the boltheads.

Happened to me last year when I was putting my cruiser back together. I was in a bit of a rush and just put it back together. It's been over 10k miles and it's been fine. I've broken one a few times on toyota pickups too, but never fixed them right, never had a problem. But the motor is coming out this winter and I'll have the machine shop deal with it when I have the lower end balanced. I've never had any luck with ez-outs.

I tried easy outs, etc. and had the best results with a reverse threaded Drill bit. Only place I could find them was the AA Trading Post on South Broadway, just north of belleview.

try using a zip cut and cut a slot for a flat head screwdriver it is okay to cut into the flywheel a little as it is not on the contact surface where you cut.I have a factory toyota manual that says 12- 15 lbs for pressure plate bolts use loctite as they are spinning.good luck oh I believe the bolts are 8mm by 1.25 pitch

msc also sells reverse drill bits, but i'll second a&a...my 68 was built with a lot of stuff from there...course i lived in englewood then, so it was a lot more convenient.

too tall said:
try using a zip cut and cut a slot for a flat head screwdriver it is okay to cut into the flywheel a little as it is not on the contact surface where you cut.I have a factory toyota manual that says 12- 15 lbs for pressure plate bolts use loctite as they are spinning.good luck oh I believe the bolts are 8mm by 1.25 pitch

12-15 lbs. Oh crap, no wonder it poped! Thanks for all the posts guys! Will tackle it tom morning.

while i was bolting up my Flywheel i had a bolt start to get real easy while torqueing them down, so i took it back off and you can see where was going to break off, ill get a pic when i find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom