press in the west valley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Living in the Past

SILVER Star
Threads
Any one have have press in the west valley to use to press a wheel bearing out of the knuckle, press a new one in then press the hub on? Just got to love sealed bearings on independent suspension.

Yes sir, press only though. HF 20 ton. If you need an SSTs, I may not have it.

I have the same press in Marana/North Tucson area. Twin Peaks exit to be specific.

Welcome to use it anytime, and I may have the dies to fit your bearing.

Jason
501-772-6109

Went to Mark's last night and worked on it for while with no luck.:bang: Broke down this morning and put together my new in the box (three boxes actually) HB press which I have no room to leave it together. First attempt and got the old one out.:meh: New bearing and hub pressed in with no issue.
IMG_2858.JPG

Think was it the boom box that made the difference.
IMG_2859.JPG

Believe the 20 ton goes together easier then the 12 ton which I have at the cabin. That one I bought used from a member here and was older so that may be the difference. Anyway couple bolts at the bottom for the two runners and couple for the eye bolts/springs and it was together. Took longer to dig it out than put together. Just need to put it all back together now and test drive before I put the press back in the boxes and store it away, Murphy's Law. I do appreciate all the offers but have it covered.

I also want to thank my wife. When I was trying to figure out what to use to press the new bearing she suggested just using the old bearing, The failure last night make me lose quite a bit of sleep and wasn't really thinking straight this morning. Done many times in past in the past but today that part of the brain wasn't working. After fighting removing the old bearing last thing I wanted to do was damage the new one going in. The socket in the picture worked great at supporting the the inner section of the bearing while pressing in the hub.

Last edited:
What do you mean it came out with no issue??? That blasted thing was not budging and I know we but a crapload of force on it. Well, glad you got it out without too much more fuss anyway.

What do you mean it came out with no issue??? That blasted thing was not budging and I know we but a crapload of force on it. Well, glad you got it out without too much more fuss anyway.

Thank you again for the use of the press even if that thing wouldn't move. What I did was use a single plate under it so the longest arm just hung over the end and worked to level with sockets and no wood then just went for broke. Got lucky and nothing broke and the bearing gave in. If I had know it went together would have probably just put it together yesterday. The 12 ton I have is a lot more pieces, plus need to work to keep it sqaure while putting it together. If you don't tighten it up real tight it's pretty flimsy. I bought it used for cheap and not complaining. It's come in handy a few times and pretty easy to tuck away. But for this bearing doubt it would have been up to the task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom