Presidents' Day long weekend adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm a maybe... depends on wife's health.. But I've got 7 weeks of vaca accrued and need to start taking some!

Sounds like a good opportunity to cover a few days. Hope your wife is feeling well by then.

I'm thinking Mojave road will afford us the best weather. Reading this now
IMG_0997.JPG

Mojave Road is the destination, the terrain will be similar to Death Valley and temps will also be similiar. Hot in the day and cool in the evening with a possible cold night.

The issue there is weather, it may be colder possibly wear but equally scenic if not more so. I will pull the trigger after this weekend on which one will be our 2018 long trek. Hopefully not the only one, I think someone was discussing Colorado in late summer.

No matter what we do it will require lots of driving and rustic camping, no facilities and very limited gas fill up opportunity.

Also not that @yjeff has a run of the month the same weekend down to Mexico, I'm sure that several folks will be tempted to go to Puerto Penasco.

Stay tuned.

IMG_0998.PNG

IMG_0999.JPG

Last edited:
I am out, unless there is a option to get caught up Friday night/Saturday morning. Cant get the day off something about being to important or something.:hmm:

Well we are one month out and if you have ever wanted to be out for several days in the middle of no where then is is your chance. Mojave Road extends from Fort Mojave on the Colorado River west to the site of old camp Cady on the West Bank of the Mojave River, just a few miles from Newberry Springs, CA. The distanc is about 140 miles and there are no gas stations.

Day 1: Phoenix to Balancing Rock Campground, this will allow any late afternoon Friday departures to catch up with the main group
Day 2: Balancing Rock to Mid-Hills Campground or in that vicinity this is also a catch up point
Day 3: 130 miles of driving near Mid-Hills Campground (Death Valley Mine, Rock Spring and Smith Homestead and the Kelso Depot) if we want to we can establish a base camp for two nights at Mid Hills or somewhere else along the trail.
Day 4: Mid-Hills to Soda Lake to finish the trail. Then west to loop back eastward across Soda Lake. Then the long drive home!
IMG_1018.PNG

More to come but wanted to post up a proposed itinerary.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun grueling trip!

I ran across this for official conditions:

Alerts & Conditions - Mojave National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

I.E.

Caution
  • Potable Water Temporarily Unavailable at Campgrounds
    Potable water is unavailable at Mid Hills and Hole-In-The-Wall campgrounds, and at the Black Canyon Group Camp until further notice. Campers should bring at least one gallon of water per day per person.
  • Section of Mojave Road Temporarily Closed
    A 13.8 mile section of Mojave Road between Ivanpah Rd and Fort Piute have been temporarily closed due to severe storm damage and unsafe conditions. A suggested detour is in place.

I.E.

Caution
    Potable water is unavailable at Mid Hills and Hole-In-The-Wall campgrounds, and at the Black Canyon Group Camp until further notice. Campers should bring at least one gallon of water per day per person.
    A 13.8 mile section of Mojave Road between Ivanpah Rd and Fort Piute have been temporarily closed due to severe storm damage and unsafe conditions. A suggested detour is in place.
  • IMG_1019.PNG

YEp, saw the map with the detour around the closure. I'm hoping that like a Death Valley, everyone will carry their own water supply.

Any chance you will be joining us on this trip?

Last edited:
I'm hoping that like a Death Valley, everyone will carry their own water supply.

Bringing my own water is not a problem. Do we need to plan on bringing extra fuel? I remember we were running it pretty close one of the days in death valley.

I.E.

Caution

I would call it a soft closure. Not knowing and seeing any signage I ran the closure at dusk only to find a sign at the other end. :meh:

YEp, saw the map with the detour around the closure. I'm hoping that like a Death Valley, everyone will carry their own water supply.

Any chance you will be joining us on this trip?
Thinking about it - but February is a long ways off.

If I do go I can carry a lot of water & wood in the Taco.

I'm going to recommend that carrying extra fuel be optional. Each person will need to assess the consumption of their vehicle. I may bring fuel but I'm not convinced it will be necessary yet.

Still researching.

I'm in.

I'm open to potluck ideas. Was thinking we should have some Mexican one night, maybe green corn tamales and red beef tamales long with some tacos. Post up you ideas.

Let's stick to just dinners.

I'm open to potluck ideas. Was thinking we should have some Mexican one night, maybe green corn tamales and red beef tamales long with some tacos. Post up you ideas.

Let's stick to just dinners.

I can bring carne asada for tacos.