preppins stock alloys for painting... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I foolishly posted this in rChat and got nothing but wise-ass remarks...

Anyway, what kind of solvent can I use on my stock aluminium rims prior to painting them? They're all pitted and gross. I think a ghetto job will look much better.

The best choice is probably sand blast, second hand sanding. What is happening is the clear coat is worn off in places leaving the aluminum to oxidize. If you use a chemical paint remover it will still take a bit of hand finishing with steel wool (while remover is wet) or sand paper (after remover is removed and dry) You can get good results by just giving the wheel a good scuffing with steel wool or sand paper and not use any chemicals.
Rusty

I should mention that for added redneck style, I'll be painting them with the tires still on. The 80 is my only vehicle, so removing the wheels for the time it would take to remove the rubber, paint, and replace the tires isn't an option.

You might want to be careful with the solvent and your tires. If it will dissolve the clear coat, it could damage rubber.

You might try things like medium sandpaper and sanding block or a drill mounted flap sander to knock off any remaining clear coat. Use one or two finer grits for a smoother surface. Clean and degrease with a mild solvent like ethanol. I wouldn't soak the tires with it, but ethanol is a lot less aggressive than acetone or mek. Good preparation will yield a good finish.

I should mention that for added redneck style, I'll be painting them with the tires still on. The 80 is my only vehicle, so removing the wheels for the time it would take to remove the rubber, paint, and replace the tires isn't an option.

Use some notecards between the rim and tire to help prevent overspray/chemicals from getting on the tires, unless you already have this covered.

Use some notecards between the rim and tire to help prevent overspray/chemicals from getting on the tires, unless you already have this covered.

Yeah, I'm going to tape/wrap the tires. I think I'll brush paint in matte, and maybe finish with a semi-gloss spray. I'll try the backside of the rims first and see what looks best. Anything is an improvement over the sad state of them now.

Yeah, I'm going to tape/wrap the tires. I think I'll brush paint in matte, and maybe finish with a semi-gloss spray. I'll try the backside of the rims first and see what looks best. Anything is an improvement over the sad state of them now.

An easy alternative to taping off the tyres when painting rims with the tyres on is to brush a thin layer of Vaseline on the rubber and wash off the Vaseline and over-spray after the paint on the rims has dried.

Meh. This is what I used to do mine and the job was still a giant PITA. Acetone was great for the final stage of cleaning off the sand-dust, but didn't do crap for getting the crazy brake dust and gunk off. You need something stronger for sure...

I like the sound of aircraft stripper... I'd try that.

I also cleaned, sanded and painted mine with the tires still on. Freaking sucked. How I wished I could've just unmounted the tires and had them sand-blasted. I sanded mine by hand though...

I used rustoleum primer and semi-gloss black to paint them and I think they turned out sweet. I didn't do anything to protect my tires and even over-sprayed onto them a bunch. Looked crappy, but I painted another set before and tried not to over-spray and still did and found out the paint just wore right off after a couple trial rides. Pretty much all worn off now after a couple weeks and the tires look great. Though I must say, if I did it again, I would prob tape them off a bit.

-Ferg-

for your tires, just smear some liquid soap on them before you prime/paint and let it dry a little. after you finish painting, just wash off your tires, and the overspray goes w/ it. that's what I did and it worked out well. got the idea from someone on here that did it before me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom