Prepping and painting a frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A while back I powerwashed my 4Runner frame, then applied Rustoleum rust primer then a topcoat of black gloss Rustoleum. That worked OK, but the rust eventually worked its way out the holes in the frame and spread from there. I'll be replacing the frame on my HJ60 in a couple weeks hopefully, and I'm getting a decent frame with, but it will almost certainly have surface rust. After spending a couple of hours reading up on this, here's a couple options:

Prep work
I will be using a 3M flapper wheel with and power-washing the frame. I am unsure of how to deal with scale rust inside the frame rails.

Rust Bullet
Pros:
  • little prep work- remove scale rust, apply rust bullet
Cons:
  • does not accept topcoat well
  • expensive

POR-15
Pros
  • ???
Cons:
  • lots of bad reviews

Zero Rust
Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • used by reputatble companies such as CCOT (Cool Cruiser Of Texas)
  • hold up well in indepenant tests, according to their website
Cons:
  • Requires frame prep, ie: rust converter

Last edited:
Matt16,

I'm kind of in the same boat with my 40. When I do eventually get to tearing it apart and painting the frame, I'm up in the air about how to proceed. Seem to be good and bad thoughts on all of the products. Prep seems to be the key but I'm worried about inside the frame. I read a thread here on a product that seems good and looks fairly simple, but the thread didn't really go anywhere. Check it out and see what you think:

MasterSeriesCT Coating Line Rust Prevention - MasterSeriesCT

Good luck !

A while back I powerwashed my 4Runner frame, then applied Rustoleum rust primer then a topcoat of black gloss Rustoleum. That worked OK, but the rust eventually worked its way out the holes in the frame and spread from there. I'll be replacing the frame on my HJ60 in a couple weeks hopefully, and I'm getting a decent frame with, but it will almost certainly have surface rust. After spending a couple of hours reading up on this, here's a couple options:

Prep work
I will be using a 3M flapper wheel with and power-washing the frame. I am unsure of how to deal with scale rust inside the frame rails.

Rust Bullet
Pros:
  • little prep work- remove scale rust, apply rust bullet
Cons:
  • does not accept topcoat well
  • expensive

POR-15
Pros
  • ???
Cons:
  • lots of bad reviews

Zero Rust
Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • used by reputatble companies such as CCOT (Cool Cruiser Of Texas)
  • hold up well in indepenant tests, according to their website
Cons:
  • Requires frame prep, ie: rust converter

look into renting a sandblaster. The ricochet from the sand should hit the inside in question. As far as a paint system-
Do a 2 component primer with a 2 component urethane finish. The inside frame spots use a mini roller and "swab" those spots.
You with me?

Blasting works. Pits the frame for better paint adhesion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom