Preparing to restore my 72 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Need a bit of advice. I was able to trade a friend for a 72 fj40. I’ll try to take pics of it and add that later. The friend stripped it down to metal and rebuilt the back half of the tub (did a decent job). Frame is in need of help on the back wheel arches and the passenger side front. The engine froze from sitting so he took the head off and put Lucas or something in and cranked it over. Seems to be ok but I haven’t finished putting it back together yet.
Ok so here are a few of my many questions.
I found a replacement frame that is in good shape. And also came across fjz80 axles (front and rear) from 2000 range.
would it be better to keep the original axles or would it be a good upgrade to install the 80s under the new frame?
I am not rock climbing. I will be cruising around town and maybe hauling some trailers
i also have a 86(?) or so 2LT Toyota diesel straight 4 turbo. In this build would it be a good idea to install that instead of the 2f that’s in it right now?
lastly for now, I was contemplating from some other posts I read to turn it into a fj45 pickup but instead of shortening then can, using the full body so it can maintain the number of seats, and extending the frame to add a 5ish ft pickup bed on the back.
these are the major topics/decisions I’m trying to make on this right now. I know everyone might feel differently about each question/option and I’m ok with that as I need others experience and expertise from here as I’m new to fj40 builds (done other vehicles before). Thanks in advance for your insights.

Sounds like a cool project!!
A few clarifications that might be important to get answers you’re asking for.
1. 1970 would have had the f engine, not the 2f. Is the engine definitely a 2f?
2. fzj80 last year was 1997; are they solid axles?
Not sure if they’ll fit, but I’ll tag @inkpot he will know.
Some people have put FJ60 axles under there.
No experience with the pickup conversion but I’m sure it would look cool!

Sounds like a cool project!!
A few clarifications that might be important to get answers you’re asking for.
1. 1970 would have had the f engine, not the 2f. Is the engine definitely a 2f?
2. fzj80 last year was 1997; are they solid axles?
Not sure if they’ll fit, but I’ll tag @inkpot he will know.
Some people have put FJ60 axles under there.
No experience with the pickup conversion but I’m sure it would look cool!
Hi! Thanks for the response. I was going off the years that the people told me. I am betting that the axles are 1997ish then as he told me around 2000. They are solid axles.
as for the current engine how do I tell the difference between the f and 2f engine?

80 axles are roughly 6" wider than stock 40 axles. You will also need to run high steer on the front to clear the springs. There are no cheap high steer options for 80 axles.

Here is my crawler on 80s. The tires are probably about 5-6" from the body, but I have pretty high offset wheels on there, about 2.5". Either way, you get the point. I would run 60 axles for your project if you are wanting to do an axle swap. Much easier.

20200506_113443.jpg

20210401_184916.jpg

20210406_084006.jpg

20210406_083954.jpg

80 axles are roughly 6" wider than stock 40 axles. You will also need to run high steer on the front to clear the springs. There are no cheap high steer options for 80 axles.

Here is my crawler on 80s. The tires are probably about 5-6" from the body, but I have pretty high offset wheels on there, about 2.5". Either way, you get the point. I would run 60 axles for your project if you are wanting to do an axle swap. Much easier.

View attachment 2637163

View attachment 2637162

View attachment 2637170

View attachment 2637171
Ok good to know and thanks for the pictures! Would you say the 80s are stronger or more heavy duty than the original? Or a better ride?

Ok good to know and thanks for the pictures! Would you say the 80s are stronger or more heavy duty than the original? Or a better ride?

80s are one of the strongest axles that toyota made. Everything is bigger on the front compared to any other toyota axle. The axle will not affect the ride quality, the suspension will. The 80 axles are built for coils, not leafs. Coils will ride much better than the leaf springs, but it will be a lot more work to get set up on a 40. Check out @Tank5 's 45 build thread if you want to see how much is involved. If you are still planning on running the 2f that you have, 40 axles will be fine. They hold up to small blocks all day long if you are nice to them.

80s are one of the strongest axles that toyota made. Everything is bigger on the front compared to any other toyota axle. The axle will not affect the ride quality, the suspension will. The 80 axles are built for coils, not leafs. Coils will ride much better than the leaf springs, but it will be a lot more work to get set up on a 40. Check out @Tank5 's 45 build thread if you want to see how much is involved. If you are still planning on running the 2f that you have, 40 axles will be fine. They hold up to small blocks all day long if you are nice to them.
Hi tried to find the build you were talking about (tank5) is there a way to search his build posts as it seems hard to find the axle part.
Also, zooming in on your pics. Looks like you hung your rear 80axle with leaf springs is that the way they are supposed to be or coils? To use the leaf springs did you have to do anything to the 80 axle? (Can I get away with utilizing my 40
Leaf springs to mount the 80 axles under my rig?). Thanks!

Hi tried to find the build you were talking about (tank5) is there a way to search his build posts as it seems hard to find the axle part.
Also, zooming in on your pics. Looks like you hung your rear 80axle with leaf springs is that the way they are supposed to be or coils? To use the leaf springs did you have to do anything to the 80 axle? (Can I get away with utilizing my 40
Leaf springs to mount the 80 axles under my rig?). Thanks!

I did SOA rear, 3 link front. You don't have to use the coils, it is much harder to without moving both the upper and lower buckets. Here is the start of his coil conversion. Builds - "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-milk-truck-fj45-preservation-sorta.1172484/page-4

Again, the rear is the easy axle to swap. You would have to go with a high steer kit on the front axle to run leafs. Its either the Hellfire Kunckles ($1050), plus new a drag link and tie rod (~ $250) or the Slee arms (~$600) and sourcing a RHD 80 arm.

What are your plans for this build? Figure out what you want to do before jumping headfirst in. I'm assuming you know what the suspension types are that you would be swaping, and understand the amount of work that it would take.

I did SOA rear, 3 link front. You don't have to use the coils, it is much harder to without moving both the upper and lower buckets. Here is the start of his coil conversion. Builds - "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-milk-truck-fj45-preservation-sorta.1172484/page-4

Again, the rear is the easy axle to swap. You would have to go with a high steer kit on the front axle to run leafs. Its either the Hellfire Kunckles ($1050), plus new a drag link and tie rod (~ $250) or the Slee arms (~$600) and sourcing a RHD 80 arm.

What are your plans for this build? Figure out what you want to do before jumping headfirst in. I'm assuming you know what the suspension types are that you would be swaping, and understand the amount of work that it would take.
Yeah my head is spinning from looking over his work. It was great and I’d love to do it but my kids are young and I wanna see them too lol. I think I’ll probably just be going with original axles and maybe doing a disc conversion at least on the front. You or someone mentioned something about just doing a 80 swap on the rear. (And using original or another style leaf springs). If I wanted to do that, is there a way to get the wheels to line up (other than adding a spacer in the front -although i would think that would be the easiest way).
I plan to use this to cruise around town (taking kids out to ice cream etc) and maybe towing my mower trailer some times) thanks!

Yeah my head is spinning from looking over his work. It was great and I’d love to do it but my kids are young and I wanna see them too lol. I think I’ll probably just be going with original axles and maybe doing a disc conversion at least on the front. You or someone mentioned something about just doing a 80 swap on the rear. (And using original or another style leaf springs). If I wanted to do that, is there a way to get the wheels to line up (other than adding a spacer in the front -although i would think that would be the easiest way).
I plan to use this to cruise around town (taking kids out to ice cream etc) and maybe towing my mower trailer some times) thanks!
With an 80 rear, not really. Its about 6" wider than a factory 40 axle, which is way too much to make up with spacers. 60 axles would be your best bet.

I would buy the replacement frame, use your current axles, and build up a nice '40. If you need an engine or desperately want FJ60 axles, then find a rusted out '60 and part it out for the pieces you need. I realize your choices in Maine are a lot fewer than you would have elsewhere.

I don't understand why you need to upgrade your axles from stock, if your just driving around town. I personally, would just adapt 4 wheel disc brakes and FJ60/80/Scout power steering and be done with it.

I would buy the replacement frame, use your current axles, and build up a nice '40. If you need an engine or desperately want FJ60 axles, then find a rusted out '60 and part it out for the pieces you need. I realize your choices in Maine are a lot fewer than you would have elsewhere.
Thank you. You confirmed what I’m currently thinking and feeling to do. I still might extend the frame to make it into a pickup but I think I’m gonna utilize the parts I have and the replacement frame to do the build and get it on the road sooner rather than later. Since I’ll just have the frame when I start the rebuild should I do or treat the frame with anything before I start installing everything?
I don't understand why you need to upgrade your axles from stock, if your just driving around town. I personally, would just adapt 4 wheel disc brakes and FJ60/80/Scout power steering and be done with it.
After talking to a few of you and reading a lot of build posts I think that is the direction i am going to be going.

One quick word of advice. Take pictures... Lots and lots of pictures! I’m a few days work from wrapping up my resto and I took 853 pictures start to finish. It wasn’t enough. There were still times when I spent a considerable amount of time scratching my head on reassembly trying to figure out how something went back on.

One quick word of advice. Take pictures... Lots and lots of pictures! I’m a few days work from wrapping up my resto and I took 853 pictures start to finish. It wasn’t enough. There were still times when I spent a considerable amount of time scratching my head on reassembly trying to figure out how something went back on.
Very good idea. I didn’t think of that. Thank you!

I'd go with a good used '76 and later front axle with factory disc brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom