Preparing for a 2,000 drive with a 160,000 mile, 2003 cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

I am preparing to drive half-way cross country (~2,000 miles) with a 2003 LX470 (~160,000 miles).

I bought it from the first owner who had it maintained at the Lexus dealership up until 110,000. She had an accident on the front right, which she needed to replace the steering rack. I later replaced the front right hub and CV when it popped out while hitting a pot hole.

Besides the basic fluids, is there anything you would recommend I have a mechanic take a closer look at before embarking on the journey?

Thank you!

Given the heat wave hitting a good portion of the country, I'd just make sure to check the battery and radiator and maybe even make sure tires are balanced. Last June I drove my 1999 Land Cruiser with 197K from Austin TX to SLC, UT and didn't do more than cursory check of oil, air pressure and battery. Zero issues on that trip!

Ensure the AC system is at the proper pressure. Bring headphones in case the stereo glitches out for some reason. New OEM wiper (blades) are also a great idea

Just ride.

Just got back from a 3100 mile trip in my 2000 LC with 223K miles on the clock. I check the usual stuff and hit the road.

Did a 3000mile ride earlier this year on my cruiser that has 360k miles on it, and not very well maintaned. It survived without a hickup (apart from its usual quirks, like a very worn CV/hub, clanking, leaking rack, etc. - but those issues didn't get any worse). I don't think there could be any issues with a 160k miles one. I'd just hop into it and go.

I'm now packing a couple of soft sided tool pouches, one for under each front seat. What's a few more pounds.

Heat wave may be leavin............I hope so......sic of it

weather guy mentioned snow early next week in northern Utah

Monday.......91*

Tuesday 60*............30* low...here @ 6K'.......WTF..........

Just go away heat........bring on September

Last edited:
Heat wave may be leavin............I hope so......sic of it

weather guy mentioned snow early next week in northern Utah

Monday.......91*

Tuesday 60*............30* low...here @ 6K'.......WTF..........

Just go away heat........bring on September

Same here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom