Premium fuel ? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would feel like it's safe to say, if you are in a pinch and you cannot get 91+ you'd be safe to run 87 until you can get to 91+.
Is that an accurate assumption?

Long term, your assessment of this seems very logical and makes perfect sense to me.
Absolutely! Short term, a tank or two, it' won't hurt anything. My concern would be using cheap low octane over the life of the vehicle.
Anything in a pinch. Just get back to the "good" stuff as soon as possible/resonalble.

So Lexus used a different tune to get 9 less HP and 2 more torques from the same engine, and it made it require Premium Fuel. Nice.

2010 Tundra 4WD Double Cab (4.6 V8)
Fuel typeRegular unleaded
EPA city/highway MPG14/19 MPG
EPA combined MPG16 MPG
Horsepower310 hp @ 5,600 rpm
Torque327 lb-ft @ 3,400 rpm
2010 GX460 (4.6 V8)
Fuel typePremium unleaded (required)
EPA city/highway MPG15/20 MPG
EPA combined MPG17 MPG
Horsepower301 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Torque329 lb-ft @ 3,500 rpm

So Lexus used a different tune to get 9 less HP and 2 more torques from the same engine, and it made it require Premium Fuel. Nice.

2010 Tundra 4WD Double Cab (4.6 V8)
Fuel typeRegular unleaded
EPA city/highway MPG14/19 MPG
EPA combined MPG16 MPG
Horsepower310 hp @ 5,600 rpm
Torque327 lb-ft @ 3,400 rpm
2010 GX460 (4.6 V8)
Fuel typePremium unleaded (required)
EPA city/highway MPG15/20 MPG
EPA combined MPG17 MPG
Horsepower301 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Torque329 lb-ft @ 3,500 rpm
And one more MPGs

Same thing with the 2UZ-FE:

2007 GX 470 2UZ: Premium fuel, 263 HP, 323 ft-lbs of torque
2007 Tundra 2UZ: Regular fuel, 271 HP, 313 ft-lbs of torque

Seems a bit wonky that there would be any material difference in the engine tuning relative to octane levels for the Tundra vs. GX 2UZ and 1UR engines. Still happy running mine on 87 (including towing), but might reset the ECU before our next big towing trip and see if there is any noticeable difference in performance or MPG running 91 or 93.

I'd argue smaller tires, better Aero and ~1k lbs less weight accounts for the fuel economy difference
Idk where you're getting the curb weight numbers but they are within 100lbs with the 4.6L. Either way I'd agree aero probably contributes more since the tailgate is usually a huge resistance on trucks. Tires are going to be similar for both in that trim FE wise.

Also a note on spark, just because you have a fuel with more octane doesn't mean you will make more power. I've managed programs with two separate fuels and lower octane fuel can make the same power. If you don't look at HP, the torque at each peak RPM point is within 2-3 ft lbs which is within dyno to dyno variation, so I would argue they really make around the same net power. The problem is when you are calibrating you aren't sitting there watching hp/tq, you are going to knock limit and managing combustion pressures and then backing off. If the knock limit with premium and regular nets the same power there isn't much you can do if your airflow tables are already set because sometimes it falls to engine architecture resonances. Long story short, you can make the same power with 4-5* more spark. That still doesn't mean if you take a premium map and dump regular fuel in you won't knock more because you will.

Anyone who thinks a tank of 87 octane threw a misfire code and was the reason their engine went into limp more is sorely mistaken and ill informed about such matters. Not saying the two issues didn't occur in close succession to each other, but one didn't cause the other without significant pre existing engine malfunctions. 87 for years with no issues in LC and GX. In my hybrids,I did extensive testing, and the MPG increase made the cost of premium a wash, so I run 91 in them. No discernible difference over many, many tanks in the V8's between 87 and 91. If you have extra cash, and don't mind wasting it, by all means, run 91+. But it's totally not necessary in these rigs for normal use.

Tell us about it , what year , color and $
Picture would be nice , too.
A 2023 Blackline in the Nori Green. Getting window tint on it next week, and then a Curt Hitch. I am going to look into some skid plating for down the line. I got it at sticker. I keep hearing that this was the last year, so I made the jump,

IMG_20230301_113747762.jpg

A 2023 Blackline in the Nori Green. Getting window tint on it next week, and then a Curt Hitch. I am going to look into some skid plating for down the line. I got it at sticker. I keep hearing that this was the last year, so I made the jump,

View attachment 3267045
If you're planning on skids later down the line, I'd also suggest sliders too. You can find some that will help keep a factory look and maybe even have it painted that gorgeous Nori green! Love that color. A set of bronze wheels would really set that off! (my .02¢)

Last edited:
If you're planning on skids later down the line, I'd also suggest sliders too. You can find some that will help keep a factory look and maybe even have it painted that gorgeous Nori green! Love that color. A set of bronze wheels would really set that off! (my .02¢)
Yeah, sliders as well. I want to keep it a bit basic for a bit. I do need the hitch and I am looking at a "trailer basket", perhaps by pack mule. I am in Florida and last year needed to evacuate due to a hurricane.

This would be a great truck to load up the family in and get out of town in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom