Preferred DFW Toyota Dealers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

worldinchaos

Toyota Fanboy
Threads
Are there some preferred DFW area Toyota dealers? I came from an FJ Cruiser before this, and the highly supportive dealers were well known. They were more active on the forum, gave good online prices, etc. Looking at a new vehicle and with the way stealership prices are trending, I would prefer to give my money to someone who has a good relationship with the mud community.

I know Toyota of Dallas has (had?) Mud support in their parts division. They even got lift kits and such for Mudders. Don’t know if they still do.

I bought from Family Toyota of Arlington last year—all my contact was directly with the GM, Matt Luck, but the delivery and follow up has been with Richard Bui. Both are super nice guys and very helpful. This was last spring before it got super crazy and you could still buy at a discount. If I ever need another Toyota I will be buying from them without hesitation. I believe Matt even sold his old 4Runner and currently drives a 200 series. They may do a small dealer accessory pack on new vehicles these days, but they absolutely don’t do “market adjustments” or markups. They have a very large presence on the DFW 4Runner Facebook group with hundreds of happy customers. I went to them after striking out with 3 other dealerships:

Toyota of Dallas: Wanted to charge me a $5k market adjustment; they are notorious for marking up vehicles

Toyota of Richardson: Wouldn’t email me back after I said I wanted to work the deal digitally (was right at peak Covid) but that I was ready to purchase

Toyota of Plano: To be fair I didn’t attempt to buy through them because the service experience on my old 4Runner was so bad. They handed me a stack of 30 sheets of paper and then proceeded to list about 8 service items I absolutely needed take care of and then got offended I was reading all 30 sheets of paper. They had printed off my service records and I think attempted to overwhelm me with paperwork in an attempt to get me to agree to all the stuff they wanted to do. Half the items they wanted me to take care of had been done by an independent Toyota shop already

Toyota of Grapevine is where I do my service, but I’m never impressed and I always have to ask them to clean oil off stuff. Disappointing really.

I go to Freeman Toyota in Ft. Worth I think it is for parts and they are always nice.

I would avoid Toyota of Rockwall just based on my recent experience trying to get on the wait list for the GR Corolla. Not a week goes by without fielding 3-4 calls from clueless salespeople asking if I'm still interested in buying "a Toyota today". Keep in mind no dealer has allocations yet for the GR so they don't have one to sell and these callers don't even seem to know what car I had inquired about even though I could not have been more specific. Super frustrating and the only dealer in North Texas that has followed up like some kind of stock pumping boiler room from the 90's.

Kind of new to the forum…but saw this question. I have bought all of my Toyotas from Cowboy Toyota since 2007. It is one of the few individually owned dealerships. Bob Cannon, the owner with his team of Chris Farmer, Tobias, Bobbie, etc. have been truly solid over 15 years. That’s 15 years of consistent customer service. It is a 40 minute drive for me but as been worth it. Best Erik Harrington

This is all super helpful, thanks for for the feedback guys. Personally, I had done some basic service on the FJ through Denton-- I really just wanted to receive a clean bill of health since I had been doing all the maintenance myself. The service shop experience was fine, but while walking around the show floor got some overly aggressive sales pitches that turned me off.

On the "nice" list, Arlington and Freeman Ft. Worth are both relatively close to me so I'll start there.

Toyota of Richardson,stay far away. Toyota of Dallas no on service, Chris in Parts is a nice guy and tries hard. John in parts was great but they ran him off.

Cowboy Toyota. They have a few OG master techs still working there who got pissed off at Toyota of Dallas and left. Cowboy Toyota welcomed them with open arms. I know a few people who swear by them.
Ask for Leesha Barnes as your service advisor there. Her husband is one of the master techs for them, I have not used them but have heard from multiple people that they do great work and know our rigs...

For parts, Toyota of Lewisville (5 star toyota) has a parts deal I set up years ago when I was on TLCA board. Listed under "Land Cruiser Association" when ordering gets a decent discount most days from list (closer to internet pricing). As far a service from parts dept, they don't care about LC's just a code in computer.

For parts, Toyota of Lewisville (5 star toyota) has a parts deal I set up years ago when I was on TLCA board. Listed under "Land Cruiser Association" when ordering gets a decent discount most days from list (closer to internet pricing). As far a service from parts dept, they don't care about LC's just a code in computer.
how do you purchase the parts here and use the discount ?

I used to buy online at Toyota Of Dallas and picked up local (saved on shipping). It was great ! but that is closed, looking for another local source

Thanks

I have used Longo Toyota of Prosper a couple of times; their internet pricing is very competitive and you can save quite a bit on shipping if you make the drive out there to pick up the parts.

Just a follow-up for anyone who finds this in the future...don't even bother with Toyota of Grapevine.

I have been working with Family Toyota Arlington and Freeman Toyota Fort Worth (to a lesser extent), and they have both been excellent. No MSRP markups, no bait and switch, easy to talk with etc. However, I saw that Toyota of Grapevine had a Sequoia TRD Pro in stock and I was curious....

1. Their website has an "instant email quote" option, and they didn't honor that, it just said I need to talk to a sales rep.
2. The sales reps I spoke with wouldn't give pricing over the phone. They wanted me to come in.
3. I came in, they took my info, eventually a sales rep came over and his "opening price" was $105k....for a $78k vehicle. I walked out within 2 minutes.
4. I have received 3 calls since then trying to talk to me about the offer.

Every single aspect of the experience was awful. Don't give them your money. It's the only way they will learn.

I concur on Toyota of Grapevine. I just went in to see them to buy a used truck for work, we picked one out online that was in route to the dealer. We went to complete the sale with a sales person that we had met previously. The first thing he did was went into comp vehicle pricing compared to other dealerships. I asked him why we were talking about this, was the vehicle that I had talk to him about not available? He said oh yes it was and he put the pricing in front of me which was not only not the same, it was over $2000 higher than online… Dealer prep fees. It was then a sales BS conversation about how they had their expenses, yada yada yada; and did I not WANT them to prep the vehicle?... It was completely a pricing bait, pissed me off. They only honored their online price after I literally got up to walk out. In the end, the vehicle that I had looked at on line was in very poor shape from what I expected when it finally arrived, and I decided not to buy it. I left with a very sour taste in my mouth over the whole transaction and would not go back there. (Severely edited from the original dictation from my phone.)

Last edited:

I used to buy online at Toyota Of Dallas and picked up local (saved on shipping). It was great ! but that is closed, looking for another local source

Thanks

To use the discount, when you inquire about parts, tell them you are with the Land Cruiser Association. You can call them to inquire about parts or go into the counter. They have my phone number on file, so if they need to call you about parts, give them another number.

Last edited:
2 suggestions.
1. When I use the Toyota of Rockwall dealership and ask for a veteran discount they knock off 10%.
2. I also noted that there are a lot of online dealerships that offer a range of discounts if you can handle ordering online and paying for shipping. The best discount I found was with a Mud poster named Ruben C (look in the Mud vendor list. Ruben C is a gold star supporting vendor at Capo Valley Toyota in California) with a discount of around 32%. I have typically used LaGrange Toyota online parts who typically offer a 26% or so discount. They are in Georgia and have been excellent to work with. What I have not found is a DFW local dealer that offers discounted parts so like you, I am very interested in doing local business and avoid shipping costs. I will be watching this thread for updates.

McKinney has been good to work with on parts.

Good for service too. No appt needed for routine service and out in an hr.

Plano, not so good. Appt needed 2-3 weeks in advance, and parts gave me a run around (twice!) and never delivered. Went to McKinney and got part no problem. Have never been back to Plano.

My experiences; have lived in either the mid-cities or out here in Parker County since 1988:

Toyota of Grapevine - bought a brand new Sequoia from them in 2002; they had the options we were looking for and a fair price. Salesman thought he was some kind of hot sh!t on a silver platter because he was an ex-pro football player. Never went back for service or parts.

Toyota of Fort Worth - bought a brand new truck from them in 2006 because they had the options and packages that I wanted. Service dept. refused to fix the rear diff gears under warranty because I had larger than stock tires on it. Years later went shopping for a used car for one of my daughters, and they quoted me an absolutely absurd price for a high-mileage Venza, and wouldn't come down a dime. Walked out and have never been back. Their parts dept. then was OK, good stock of inventory, parts guys not particularly knowledgeable about old Land Cruisers but interested in them and generally helpful. No discount.

Freeman Toyota in Hurst - used car salesmen helpful and nice. Parts dept. my least favorite of any; not very helpful, full price, but that was years ago.

Toyota of Dallas - Great when Chris and Brenda King worked there and ran the parts dept. They supported the off-road community very strongly, were at every Roundup and Barnwell Mountain event for years, always donated stuff for the auctions and etc. Don't know what became of them.

Shottenkirk Toyota (formerly Durant Toyota) in Weatherford - the best of the bunch by far these days (in my experience). Small dealership and modest parts dept., but they give me a "shop" (wholesale) account, order anything I want, are interested in old Land Cruisers, and know me by name when I come in. Lamont Halstead is the parts manager, 817-757-4239 www.shottenkirktoyotaweatherford.com

My experiences; have lived in either the mid-cities or out here in Parker County since 1988:

Toyota of Grapevine - bought a brand new Sequoia from them in 2002; they had the options we were looking for and a fair price. Salesman thought he was some kind of hot sh!t on a silver platter because he was an ex-pro football player. Never went back for service or parts.

Toyota of Fort Worth - bought a brand new truck from them in 2006 because they had the options and packages that I wanted. Service dept. refused to fix the rear diff gears under warranty because I had larger than stock tires on it. Years later went shopping for a used car for one of my daughters, and they quoted me an absolutely absurd price for a high-mileage Venza, and wouldn't come down a dime. Walked out and have never been back. Their parts dept. then was OK, good stock of inventory, parts guys not particularly knowledgeable about old Land Cruisers but interested in them and generally helpful. No discount.

Freeman Toyota in Hurst - used car salesmen helpful and nice. Parts dept. my least favorite of any; not very helpful, full price, but that was years ago.

Toyota of Dallas - Great when Chris and Brenda King worked there and ran the parts dept. They supported the off-road community very strongly, were at every Roundup and Barnwell Mountain event for years, always donated stuff for the auctions and etc. Don't know what became of them.

Shottenkirk Toyota (formerly Durant Toyota) in Weatherford - the best of the bunch by far these days (in my experience). Small dealership and modest parts dept., but they give me a "shop" (wholesale) account, order anything I want, are interested in old Land Cruisers, and know me by name when I come in. Lamont Halstead is the parts manager, 817-757-4239 www.shottenkirktoyotaweatherford.com
Chris and Barb King retired and moved to west Texas…….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom