Predrive checklist? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
During the week I fly a Piper Navajo for the department of environmental protection. It is standard procedure to conduct numerous checks prior to taking flights, and when taking longer flights or flights in inclement weather, there are additional checks that I perform.

Now that I've got a lot of my baseline items completed on my 80, I'm curious to know if there is any sort of checklist that should be done prior to trips. I know someone will flip me off on this, but there are always things to consider. I'm not talking about a trip to the store or to pick up the kids at soccer. Some trips that come to mind for me are:
  • 300 miles round trip on back roads of Maine in November with rain and temperatures dropping to low teens, black ice roads, freezing rain, etc.
  • Driving in frozen bogs of northern Maine, by myself, 30 miles from anything.
  • Heading to Canada, 1800 miles round trip in January
These are just a few things that I can think of, and I would think that my "predrive checklist" would be different for each.

There are things to bring along, belts, tools, etc. but what do you check before you go?

Suggestions are really appreciated.

No I don't think she is looking for a list of maint items but a "pre-take off" list if you will.

Walk around check the tires
Check the engine oil
If it is cold check the coolant levels
If it is warm check the transmission fluid levels
Make sure you never skip a gas station lol

Drive it.

No I don't think she is looking for a list of maint items but a "pre-take off" list if you will.

Walk around check the tires
Check the engine oil
If it is cold check the coolant levels
If it is warm check the transmission fluid levels
Make sure you never skip a gas station lol

Drive it.

Yes, these sort of things, exactly.

Driving on icy roads, air up, air down?

Yea, never, ever skip the gas station :bang:

If you perform regular maintenance then the checklist would be more of what you need to carry. Tools, consumables like antifreeze and oils, safety equipment like fire extinguishers, shovels, jacks, ropes, straps, flashlights and batteries. Make sure you have the charge cord for your cell phone. Food, water, blankets and when you get to Canada you'll need beer. :flipoff2:

Yes, these sort of things, exactly.

Driving on icy roads, air up, air down?

Yea, never, ever skip the gas station :bang:

For icy roads, air down a bit for more contact patch. Not too far or you'll undo the positive benefits.

In the AF we use an AF Form 1800, which has the basics listed that you follow. If any discrepancies exist then you write them on the inside of the form and when your done you sign it off for that shift and day saying it is serviceable.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/ Type in 1800 in the search block. I suppose it can be customized to suit the specific owners rig...

In the AF we use an AF Form 1800, which has the basics listed that you follow. If any discrepancies exist then you write them on the inside of the form and when your done you sign it off for that shift and day saying it is serviceable.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/ Type in 1800 in the search block. I suppose it can be customized to suit the specific owners rig...

I bet this is all kinds of awesome but I can't open it in Word, Acrobat, TextEdit, etc etc even though the specs detail that I should. Poo.

I'm anxious to get the document to work, to the OP's point, this could be useful.

Not working guys

At work, we have a standard/basic checklist before taking a vehicle out on the track for evaluation.
Pre-drive checklist is similar in thought to what you would do for a plane.

We check the following:
Tire Pressure
Light functions
Inspect for any damage
Inspect for leaks
Inspect all fluids
Adjust mirrors
Start the vehicle and check for CEL or any other ECU indicators
Check function of steering and brakes
With vehicle running and in park, check again for fluid or exhaust leaks
Depending on what maintenance or work was done, we'll check for torque on critical parts(this is usually done by a technician before the evaluation engineer picks up the car.

HTH

I'm going to combine the AF1800 doc with Golgo13 info, I think that will get me what I'm looking for. Once I do it 20 times, I won't really need the list.

Running Michelin XPS tires, generally 85Psi, how much should I air down to when driving on ice / in snow?

Is there an easy way to air down to X Psi without having to keep checking if you let enough out, or too much out?

We make it a habit of packing the car the night before. I usually make my "preflight" the night before the trip, before I go to bed. This allows me not to only make sure the vehicle is in check but that I also have packed everything I need, including spares, tools, recovery and first aid.

Basics have been covered: Fluid levels -all of them- and inspect tires and air pressure, including spare.

For all the other aspects I just give a good walk-around.

For airing down, ARB makes a deflator kit that lets you monitor the air pressure as you're letting the air out, which helps a lot. I'm sure you can find a few similar items. Sorry, can't help you with ideal air pressure as we don't get snow in our neck of the woods.

I can't post picts (or links to picts even) yet so here is a link to what I carry in my Tundra... I really hate this photo blocker for new users... I have a very similar setup for my 80.

Basically my standard kit includes;
  • Level 3 Trauma Bag w/ IV: Lidocane (and sutures), epinephrine, diphenhydramine
  • Level 1 First Aid Kit
  • Recovery Gear (Snatch Straps, Comealongs, straps and clevis's
  • 2 Week Survival Pack, MRE's Small camp stove, CB Radio, Road and Aerial Flare, Snares, Knife, Hatcet, Lighter, windproof matches, TP, Blankets, 500' Para Cord, Wool Socks Gloves and beanie and a mirror (some things get added / deleted from this depending on season)
  • 10lb ABC Fire Extinguisher
  • 2 Gallons Distilled Water
  • Basic Tools

Golgo's info is spot on, I would also add checking the handbrake for proper adjustment and operation. I too am a pilot and enjoy the idea of a pre-drive checklist, it is great to know that your rig is roadworthy, too many people have no idea or don't care. Low pressures on a surface that is 50/50 ice and dry / wet pavement will develop unwanted negative handling attributes (it will get sloppy / mushy)

On Ice I would stay aired up, you want more pressure on a smaller area when on ice for added traction. Snow is debatable, deep snow you should air down to spread out your footprint to 'float' and maintain traction. On anything less than a foot I'd say, keep your pressures up.

When the weather is really crappy, I don't mess with tire pressure. Besides, if you did, then you would need to carry an air compressor too :D

When I'm going on a long winter trip, I always carry my heavy sleeping bag, water and some food. IF you get stranded, you don't want to freeze to death in there!

Seems like everything else has been pretty well covered.

Wow, great points from everyone! Hadn't considered a sleeping bag, but easy enough to carry. SmokingRocks - yea, great suggestions. Now I am starting to understand why people buy/build the storage in the back. Compressor, lovely, my paycheck is disappearing quickly.

Do most of the storage options still allow use of the 2nd row seats? Being a single mom with a 5 year old I need to keep 2nd row available for her and her friends. Probably need a barrier of some sort too. Eek, my paycheck is now almost gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom