Pre-Wheeling Checklist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
I had a buddy ask me to write out a checklist of all the things I check before going on a wheeling trip. This is what my checklist usually consists of. (I will also check this every morning if it is a multiple day trip...) I thought I would post it up here to help people and/or for people to add to it. Let me know what you think!

Check link bolts for tightness. (Control arms and pan hard bars)
Check driveshaft bolts for tightness. (Front and rear)
Check steering arm nuts for tightness.
Check lug nuts for tightness.
Check air pressure.
Check caliper bolts for tightness.
Inspect jam nuts on tie-rod and relay rod.
Inspect drive flanges for loose nuts or leaking.
Inspect wheel bearings for looseness. (All 4 corners)
Inspect Tie-Rod Ends for looseness.
Check battery terminals.
Check coolant level in radiator.
Check air filter for cleanliness.
Check belts for wear and tightness.
Start engine.
Check all lights.
Drive until vehicle is warm, shifting manually. (Listen/feel for anything that doesn’t seem right or normal.)
Check ATF level. (Should be over-filled ¼ to ½ quart.)
Shut off engine.
Check power steering fluid level. (Do NOT overfill. Only use ATF)
Check engine oil.
Check coolant level in overflow bottle.
Check transfer case oil level. (Only use gear oil.)
Check differential oil level.
Grease U-Joints. (Do NOT grease slip yolk)
If anything was adjusted or changed, drive for a 2 miles and re-check.

Last edited:
OK, I have to admit that even I -terminally anal as I may be- don't check all of that each time... :D A lot of it but not all...

Not to bust yer nutz here, but what's the difference between "Check" and "Inspect"?

I ask because we define that differently here at work and I was wondering if you did this intentionally or are the two words interchangeable?

Dan.

To be honest, I never thought about it... I guess "check" means put a wrench on it and "inspect" means just look at it...

Thanks, that's about how we break it down for our tech's.

Check means to compare against a specific number such as torque spec or expected tightness.
Usually involves getting out a tool and/or a manual.

Inspect means to check for unexpected performance such as leaks, cracks, etc.
Usually means it takes some skill or practice to know the expectation.

Ok, gone a little too far here, I work with folks that want things very clear, all the time. It ends up it's easier that way anyway.

End of story, this is a good checklist and my rig (DD) doesn't get this type of attention except every oil change. Thanks Chad.

Dan.

So when do you find time to wheel? The more I read the more I realize everyone on here has a severe 80's landcruiser addiction. I would would bet 99% of the vehicle owners in the world spend less than 1% of the time that we spend working our vehicles.

I MIGHT check all of that stuff during the course of a year. Maybe. On my trail rig. I doubt all that stuff has ever been checked on my wife's DD.

-Spike

The last time I had the chance to really wheel (and followed my checklist) was the last weekend of Sept. Since then, I have taken it on gravel roads and a bit of street driving. Maybe 1000 miles or so. When I went to go through my checklist for this weekend, all four of the front control arm bolts that hold it to the axle were loose. The keyed washer that keeps the lockout nut at the right tq on the driver side failed and the key sheared off allowing both nuts to back off... (Yes, it was a factory Toyota washer and I replace it every time I tear into the axle.) This is not excessive for me. I wheel my truck hard enough that it is taken apart on a regular basis... that means that things loosen. As for the caliper bolts, I (personally) have not had one back out on me but I have seen it happen many times on different rigs.

Loc-Tite is my friend. :D

I've had the panhard work loose once, because I didn't use thread locker. I've never had another loose bolt or nut since. As for the keyed washer, (I assume the wheel bearing set) I don't know for sure but I've theorized that when the key shears, it does it when it's installed. I make sure to lube the face of that washer and the nuts a bit so they don't bind when torquing. I haven't had one of those fail since my first wheel bearing service on my 40 twenty some-odd years ago.

-Spike

That's also an awesome list for anyone with a new-to-them truck to check over before getting too far into the PM process. Well done!

At the rate I work, by the time I completed the list it would be time to turn around and come home :doh:

Very nice list. And with the way you wheel, and I have only seen photos, you NEED to check all of that every time you even leave the driveway! :D
Just kidding, thanks for the list!

Nice job putting this together. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom