Pre Trip Service Checklist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What kind of stuff do yall check out for a Pre Road Trip (1000+ miles round trip) - '03 TLC has ~51,000 miles on it.

Its time for an oil change and tire rotation....

Also, there has been some discussion about headlights...mine are kind of dim....is there a way to replace bulbs - the lens looks kind of dull, too.....just curious, aren't the lamps themselves pretty pricey - $200+ each?

Thanks for your thoughts! :beer:

DESTIN, FL awaits!!

Grab some hella's and mount them on the bumper.

Last time I did a cross country. I checked and did these things:

• tire rotation
• oil change
• c.v boot inspection, visual.
• extra set of 9006 Silverstar bulbs
• spare tire inspected +filled with air.
• fluid check. Windsheild wiper fluid, power steering, etc
• all the other crap that people get worried about.

Hope it helps. I was going 5000 miles. I went a bit further. But it was a blast.

- wiper condition
- Tire Pressure (obviously covered in rotation)
- maps - I hate getting somewhere and the relevant map is in the other car.
- rain-x windshield
- check your vehicle documents insurance ect... and make sure they are up-to-date in case you meet a Law Enforcement type
- Lube driveshaft - needs done every 3k and so is probably not up to date.

1,000 miles is a couple of weeks commute for a lot of people so I wouldn't go overboard with your low mileage LC.

Last edited:
First - check my bank account to see if I have enough cash to buy gas to make 1000+ miles.

Second - try to talk wife and kids out of going with me.

Third - load new music onto iPod.

Fourth - get in truck and drive - it's a Cruiser, it's fine.

x2 on what Utahfj62 said... well at least for the all important step 4.
First - Grab some traveling cash

Second - Load up on DVD's for the kids :D

Third - Wife and I load up kids and stuff

Fourth - get in truck and drive - it's a Cruiser, it's fine
At first step 4 was a big leap, but now I've gotten used to Toyota dependability!

Of course no prep is really needed but it can still be an important ritual, a chance to get out of the house and away from the family you'll be locked in with for 1,000 miles.

I just got in and drove 1800 when I went to Colorado(with 114000+ on the odo). If you keep up your truck regularly u won't have to worry.

I'd throw in changing or at least checking the air filter. Mine seems to always be full of red dirt and sand. :hmm: They're like $13 for a new one. I replace mine at least once a year.

I'd also throw in verifying that with the tire rotation lug nuts are to spec not way overtorqued. So if you get a flat you can actually get the wheel off.

Have a safe :steer: and enjoy the beach.

i just got home last week from driving close to 3,000 miles!!! from Chicago to Colorado, driving around Colorado and trails and back to Chicago, things i've done before the trip... oil changed, checked all the fluids and tires..

Ohhh you're one of the guys who got a rack the other day, nice. How much fun was that drive? Hahaha damn that ride sucks but the destination(SLEES) is worth it.

I've driven over 10,000 miles in the last two months. Most of it was on a clicking front cv that had been leaking for 40,000+ miles.

Ohhh you're one of the guys who got a rack the other day, nice. How much fun was that drive? Hahaha damn that ride sucks but the destination(SLEES) is worth it.

I've driven over 10,000 miles in the last two months. Most of it was on a clicking front cv that had been leaking for 40,000+ miles.

man, i didn't like driving thru IOWA and NEBRASKA:mad: Colorado is very beautiful!!! i'm definitely going back...

I just got home 5 hours ago from driving back, already thinking of going back (for good). Kansas was worse then I thought it'd be. Worse then those two states that shouldnt be there between IL and CO.

The 100 series I think is the best vehicle (ok maybe a 200 for the highway part) for cross country driving...then wheeling once you get there! Time to go change the oil, Post Trip Service Checklist anyone?

When I go to Big Bend National Park (2-3 times a year), which usually turns into a 1200-1500 mile trip, i check fluid levels, including battery, tires, bring a portable air compressor and a can of fix a flat, tow rope, shovel, MRE's(meals ready to eat) , blanket, and spare headlight and taillight bulbs, and several water bottles. Never needed any of them yet. When I take my Tundra, I carry 2 1/2 gallons of gas. Afraid to try that in the cruiser.

You sound like a smart guy 9toys. People that have never been to Big Bend don't understand how desolate it is.

you can go days on a couple of those roads and not see a soul during the summer months. In the cooler months, sometimes there are traffic jams. A tow truck will run over $1k in the outback.

don't forget your chargers for whatever you'll need when you get to where you're going - like a camera battery charger.

i, too love being able to just jump in a toyota and go on a long trek as long as basic maintenance is done regularly. don't forget a first aid kit and a basic set of tools just in case. one thing that i like to bring with me on road trips for some reason is my dewalt snakelight.

for my summer road trip i plan on taking my time and only driving during the day so i can see the scenery. going to try and plan it so we camp most nights. we've got a lot of great things to see in the US. might as well enjoy it before we go and f it all up for our future generations.

last time i drove across the country it was just me and a friend in his '96 subaru impreza. we made it from davis, CA to chicago, IL in around 36hrs, stopping only once (besides gas) in Laramie, WY trying to locate synthetic motor oil. not much to see in some states, but i definitely missed a lot of cool scenery that i wish i hadn't.

i'm definitely making a stop at Slee's. no sense in driving to colorado and coming back empty handed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom