Pre-trip Q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my hands on my LX450 for a few day now I'm totally impressed. Thank God for the old gentleman who took such fanatic care of this vehicle while absorbing so much depreciation! I can't understand such behavior, but I'm very happy to take advantage of it.

I've got a few questions before I launch on the drive from FL to SoCal tomorrow:
What does the tow package consist of? &nbsp:Don't know if I have one - there is a large transmission cooler, but have not looked for any free wiring harness connectors.

I've already lost a wheel center cap - and the Lexus dealer that sold me the truck had just installed 4 new ones... is this common?

Has anyone installed an engine oil cooler? Is a tailored package available? I'm planning to work something up using stuff from Earl's and will post pictures, but info on hose routing experiences would be greatly appreciated.

At the risk of rambling, here are a few observations that have given me a hint about what life with this tank may be like:
I tried to have a set of 305/70's installed by the Base Exchange over at MacDill AFB, but their tire changer couldn't handle such a large tire. Neither the Toyota nor Lexus dealers here in Sarasota had a thermostat & gasket in stock! Toyota did come up with a spare set of fan belts and an OE bug deflector, but sold me what looks like the wrong oil filter (90915-YZZB5)?

I'm running 5-30 Mobile 1 and will report gas mileage from the trip. Thanks again for everybody's help. BigMac

Mac -

>> I've had my hands on my LX450 for a few day now I'm totally impressed.  

Welcome to the club !

>> I've got a few questions before I launch on the drive from FL to SoCal tomorrow:

This is the only way to learn...

Here are a few tidbits for some of your Qs...

>> Toyota sold me what looks like the wrong oil filter (90915-YZZB5)?  

This is what is regarded as the "small poor" filter. It is spec for this engine, but a much better choice is what we call the "small good" filter  90915-20004. There are other, larger filters, but the 20004 is widely used by members of this group.

>> Neither the Toyota nor Lexus dealers here in Sarasota had a thermostat & gasket in stock!

A very common problem here in N Calif as well. You will need to get used to anticipating, and ordering parts in advance.

>> Toyota did come up with a spare set of fan belts -

Smart choice; good to have around.

>> I've already lost a wheel center cap - and the Lexus dealer that sold me the truck had just installed 4 new ones... is this common?  

Very. For some reason, some trucks throw these more often than others. Perhaps others on the list who have solved this problem will offer their solutions (Mine are weird: they stay on!)

>> ... but have not looked for any free wiring harness connectors.

All Cruisers have the trailer wiring (an unused connector, into which one simply plugs an OEM or aftermarket harness). In the Land Cruiser, it is located behind the rear axle on the passenger side. There was a very recent thread on this concerning the Lexus: it may be located elsewhere, but the LX guys would have to comment on that.

Safe travels!

-R-

Mac,
Ron did a great job answering most of your questions.

All US 80's come with a "towing package." Some also have the Class III receiver hitch. The towing package included a transmission oil cooler.

I have heard others discuss an engine oil cooler. From what I've read, there isn't a huge need for this. Our engines carry about 8qts of oil and, when properly maintained, the engine cooling system is more than adaquate. If you install an engine oil cooler, please document the project. Also, let us know before and after temperature improvements if possible. It would be good to have some documentation of the benefits from the project.

The little hub caps have strong clips to keep them on. However, they will pop off if not installed correctly. Give them a good bump with the heel of your hand and you'll hear them snap in. Since you have new ones (approx $120/set) you shouldn't have any problems for several years. The clips can be bent out to improve the grip after a few years.

-B-

BigMac,as far as getting your 305's mounted,try looking for a 4x4 shop or a tire shop with several 4x4's in the parking lot :)

when i took my truck and 305's to a local shop,it was all i could do to get out of there,the owner had just sold a sweet 40 series and had to show me all the pics while his "boys" drooled over my cruiser and the big*ss tires i was mounting up...(i told them they should see some of the internet guys trucks!!)
one of those guys had a 4 runner and had all kinds of questions about lifts and such,i was happy to talk toyota with them,plus they took xtra time to balance out my wheels.......

good luck and you will love your truck with the 305's!!!!

doug

Thanks all for the helpful info - I'm really looking forward to setting this truck up. Now it's time for "wagons west" for about 3200 miles. BigMac

Bigmac,

Welcome to the group and in a little while, welcome to SoCal!

What is your final destination? Permanent reassignment?

Welcome dude!! And nice choice!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom