Pre-purchase rust advice on a 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the replies guys. Truck spent entire life in Pennsylvania according to Carfax. I'm getting it for $16k.
Pennsylvania is worst in US for strength of their salt and sand mix they put on roads. It's the number one "do not buy from" state. The worst will be at the rear most body mounts to the frame above and behind the rear axle, and you don't even have pictures of those. $16K??? I'd pass on that at $8K.

Thanks for the honest opinions guys. I canceled today. Waiting on my deposit. I was able to get the full Lexus service history and timing belt was not on there. Also, the owner complained about suspension issues for the last few years and the techs noted excessive rust on most of the entries. The search is back on.

Yea that’s a bad one. I bet the read body under the bumper is rotted away. No way there can be that much rust and no rot. I made the mistake of buying very rusty, will not do again. Will be looking for a rust free LC in the future. Absolute headache to work on and so much rust in my eyeballs.

Oh I would pass for sure. Are you picky about how far you will travel for one? In the Classifieds there have been quite a few for sale here in Atlanta. If you aren't picky on location check out Autotrader or the Mud classifieds for one here in the South.

~3 years ago I paid $5000 for my '03. Had spent its entire life street parked in Boston. Is still street parked in Boston and is not as rusty as this one. Maybe 2/3 as much.

I still had to spend $1500 in June 2017 at Auto Rust Technicians in Providence RI to have some major repairs done. That much rust will be nothing but trouble. Was worth it for me at $5k. Much more than that and I'm buying a plane ticket to Arizona and driving it back.

Thanks for the honest opinions guys. I canceled today. Waiting on my deposit. I was able to get the full Lexus service history and timing belt was not on there. Also, the owner complained about suspension issues for the last few years and the techs noted excessive rust on most of the entries. The search is back on.
Smart move!

Oh I would pass for sure. Are you picky about how far you will travel for one? In the Classifieds there have been quite a few for sale here in Atlanta. If you aren't picky on location check out Autotrader or the Mud classifieds for one here in the South.
Not picky at all. Will fly to California if I have to (Spirit Airlines baby!), plus I work from home so I can make a road trip out of it. My search alerts on Cargurus is actually nationwide, it's just nice this one popped up in PA. Everything was great until I got the inspection report. I was just going to buy it sigh unseen. Been burned with Range Rovers in the past. ;-(

I was just going to buy it sigh unseen. Been burned with Range Rovers in the past. ;-(
Of all makes and models to buy sight unseen, you did this with Range Rovers?? Cheers to you, my friend.

Hello. I have a deposit on a 2006 with 130k miles. It's 6 hours away so I had an inspection done. Couple minor issues, but the rust concerns me.

Let me know what you think...

View attachment 1919808

I know you said you have already passed on this vehicle, and tbh, I would have too, but just for future reference, I'll point out something to look for in the future....On this picture here, you see the front plastic splash gaurd. This gets removed (at least the rear-most portion you see here) pretty much every oil change in order to lube the front driveshaft. Take a look at the rearmost mounting bolt for it (just left of top center of the pic). Bolt head snapped off and its held in with a Phillips head self tapping sheetmetal screw. I cant tell for sure, but looks the same on the opposite side too. Also the mounting point just to the right of top center of the pic...The head is broken off that bolt too. This is something I just randomly noticed happens to pretty much all the trucks from rust-prone areas while I was looking for a truck myself. I started always looking for heads snapped off on those bolts in my own search. They are pretty easy to spot even just getting down and looking under the truck, and something the dealers can take a picture of pretty easily if you are from out of town. Anyway, just something I look out for myself, because I know if those bolts are broken off, any other bolt on the underside of that truck is probably going to do the exact same thing!

I live in Maine and that amount of rusts scares the crap out of me. For $16k, you can definitely find a really nice rust free 100 with under 150k miles. It just might take some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom