Pre-Purchase Inspection - 1977 Sky Blue FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That Ecuador truck needs the old magnet test... reaks of bondo..

Also, what is the best way to test for good bodywork? During a rust repair you obviously have to use some bondo to smooth the weld repair. What is an appropriate way to test for good bodywork versus too much bondo?

An Elcometer will tell you the thickness of paint/filler between the metal and the meter.

Using the elcometer, what is the appropriate thickness between paint/filler and metal?

With a vehicle that has been sprayed my hand (not factory) there isn't a simple number answer. The whole truck will vary greatly. I test for large variations in thickness to tell me which body panel to investigate further, that is which one has so much filler that the meter won't read. It's great for detecting which panels have been sprayed by hand vs OEM paint on a newer car and a useful tool for evaluating any paint work on an older vehicle.

Last edited:
On the freeborn cruiser, I wonder if they didn't install packing and weatherstrip before setting hard sides on the tub. You probably noticed the body lift. What's up with the smokey colored paint on the bib where it meets the hood? At the 40K mark I'd want to see what the underside of the tub looked like before they splattered it with undercoat. Hopefully a tar based undercoat wasn't used. That stuff is awful IMO.

Is the power steering box a homebrew. It looks kinda jagged, might need to inspect it further.

Last edited:
With a vehicle that has been sprayed my hand (not factory) there isn't a simple number answer. The whole truck will vary greatly. I test for large variations in thickness to tell me which body panel to investigate further, that is which one has so much filler that the meter won't read. It's great for detecting which panels have been sprayed by hand vs OEM paint on a newer car and a useful tool for evaluating any paint work on an older vehicle.

It sounds like I need to get a professional involved. I don't know paint that well.

On the freeborn cruiser, I wonder if they didn't install packing and weatherstrip before setting hard sides on the tub. You probably noticed the body lift. What's up with the smokey colored paint on the bib where it meets the hood? At the 40K mark I'd want to see what the underside of the tub looked like before they splattered it with undercoat. Hopefully a tar based undercoat wasn't used. That stuff is awful IMO.

Is the power steering box a homebrew. It looks kinda jagged, might need to inspect it further.

Not following you on the packing and weatherstrip? I do see the weatherstripping is pinched and showing on the PS rear ambulance door.

I had not noticed the body lift. Is that bad?

I'm not seeing where you're talking about on the smokey colored paint. Could you mark it on a pic?

Here is a photo of the underside of the tub the Seller sent me. You can't see the whole thing, but it's better than nothing.
6-DB38-BCC-64-ED-4-DCC-BE5-B-663544-C7-E346.jpg

I'll take a look at the power steering.

Also, it looks like maybe the leaf springs weren't replaced? Just re-used?

pic of the power steering bracket. Looks rushed to me, so I'd want a better look at the welds.

D2B24FA2-200F-4F3E-B4B4-DF42E1E94C3D.png

Here's a shot of of weatherstrip between hard sides and tub. I'm not seeing anything on the red 40.
ED739142-6236-447F-94E5-3E7440E06963.png

I just wonder if they put a seal on the tub before setting the hard top on. Not a huge deal. But if they didn't, it just makes me wonder what else was over looked.
2C5B438C-4F78-4C53-806D-AE7F3EA7F6CC.png

Smoky paint on bib?
CB86A3BF-911C-4C16-862E-056EC8FDA365.png

Body lift
6B36DFAE-42E7-434C-95D6-1CF0B0A3353C.png

Buy the best one you can afford from a trusted source like @imyahucklbrry mentioned. One mistake like a bad engine or tranny can be very expensive. You may think you paid too much, but you may save a ton in the long run. I like several of the rigs listed on Land cruiser nation. Seem like a very honest representation of the rigs. I would rather buy one that has the rust showing, than covered in bondo and shiny paint. Here is what can be under a decent looking paint job:

20151012_210332 copy.jpg

I see that a BJ42 just popped up on BAT. Was imported in 2003. No undercar pictures and it was originally canadian. If I was going to buy an import, this one would interest me as it has a heater and other goodies, plus diesel and 5 speed!

Dajda's Auto Care just completed the inspection on the Freeborn Red Ebay truck. They did a phenomenal job and Mike is great to deal with!

Based on Mike's inspection and advice, I'm taking a hard pass on the truck. It's a rust bucket that has been sprayed to look pretty. Glad I had it inspected instead of driving to Dallas.

What about this truck? I would love a diesel!

For Sale - 1982 BJ42 in Missouri

Maybe watch this auction to get a feel for the market of the BJ. You can search on BAT and see what past rigs have sold for.

Maybe watch this auction to get a feel for the market of the BJ. You can search on BAT and see what past rigs have sold for.

I saw that one. Very nice.

Dajda's Auto Care just completed the inspection on the Freeborn Red Ebay truck. They did a phenomenal job and Mike is great to deal with!

Based on Mike's inspection and advice, I'm taking a hard pass on the truck. It's a rust bucket that has been sprayed to look pretty. Glad I had it inspected instead of driving to Dallas.

What about this truck? I would love a diesel!

For Sale - 1982 BJ42 in Missouri

More pics of the Missouri diesel truck. What do you guys think?

1982 Red Land Cruiser - Google Drive

It looks like they just blasted it with undercoating and painted everything else.

Dadja Auto
North Richland Hills

Yessir! They helped me do the pre-purchase inspection on the Freeborn Red Cruiser (which I passed on). They were very helpful! Highly recommended.

More pics of the Missouri diesel truck. What do you guys think?

1982 Red Land Cruiser - Google Drive

It looks like they just blasted it with undercoating and painted everything else.

IF the undercoating and paint was put over good metal then no issues... just annoying extra stuff coating things. BUT if the undercoating and paint was put over cancer then it's gonna come back to haunt you. It's from Italy... coastal or mountains? Humid or arid area? I'd research how cars weather in Italy in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom