Pre-Purchase Inspection - 1977 Sky Blue FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I am looking at a 1977 FJ40 that has been restored with a rebuilt engine, transmission, and transfer case. The truck was restored in Ecuador and imported to the 'States. The interior and bodywork are immaculate. I took it for a test drive earlier this week, but I am doing a full inspection with a lift on Monday.

Before the test drive, I crawled underneath the truck and noticed that it had fluid seeping from the oil pan, transmission, and transfer case. You could see where the driveshaft was slinging fluid onto the under-body. I did not notice any fluid on the ground under the truck where it had been parked.

Since it's been rebuilt, how concerned should I be? It runs and drives very well. What should I look for when inspecting the truck on the lift? Leaking from pan seal? Needs new crush washers? Could it be something simple?

Because the body and frame are in such good condition, I still think it's a find. I'll try to get more info and pics.

B6-A86338-8194-4-DFB-BF23-773-DA269-CDA8.jpg

7-EFFEA25-A414-4153-A573-B5-AC2768753-C.jpg

EDCF6-C32-CD96-4-A98-9-DB4-D05-B8489486-B.jpg

5-C488-F25-8634-4487-AEAC-7073035-A454-D.jpg

CCC19-E5-C-1-A17-41-FA-8-E0-F-61-E0591-EA1-A1.jpg

A4-AD2-AFD-F3-CB-46-F8-B78-C-55-E508-ADA3-D0.jpg

2-A74084-E-E473-4-A2-B-9447-A2-E288-FF2-D44.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Maybe start by checking the gear oil, motor oil and coolant levels. That would give you a good indication on how much fluid is being lost and from where.

IF the drivetrain WAS rebuilt and it was recently done it should not be leaking yet ... it will in time however :)

You need to compression test it ... if it isn’t great ... it was never rebuilt

Most likely nothing else either then

If it’s selling cheap that could be the reason why... it is ALOT of work to pull everything apart replace what’s needed and put back

idk much but I see a lot of people mention to take a real close look at anything from South America. Looks can be deceiving
Non US market 40s should be looked at with extreme caution. They have been known previously for absolute hackjobs, but speaking generally, the "restorations" have significantly improved and made it increasingly more difficult to see through. Not saying they are all guaranteed bad, but very few are what they appear to be.

Something else to consider:

Here is an unmolested FJ40 rear wheel arch.
6-EA9-F314-D484-49-AC-A361-A38-B79-BCB605.jpg

And here is the Cruiser I’m looking at.
9-B1-EAD58-58-E7-405-C-A3-EB-8-DAA5-EA83-E0-A.jpg

those south american cruisers are little more than lipstick pigs. not to mention their lack of alot of federal spec features really stand out.
i would be surprised if it actually has a 4spd trans and front disc brakes.

those south american cruisers are little more than lipstick pigs. not to mention their lack of alot of federal spec features really stand out.
i would be surprised if it actually has a 4spd trans and front disc brakes.

It has a 4 speed trans, I test drove it. Drum brakes in the front though.

I looked over the pics posted on bat

I very much doubt that engine came out

Seller included some restoration photos, so I’m pretty sure it came out. But who knows what kind of job they did on it.

09149-FF0-C86-D-4408-B619-A8-CDB8-DB4008.jpg

Well it did get pulled... but... still has the rusty freeze plugs on the head from the engine out to engine as now pics... rebuilt? Idk

Rubber brake lines in front are cracking ... I’d have to take longer looks at the bat pics... likely otters have seen the issues and reason it didn’t get to 30k

IF you can get it in the 15-19 range ... expect you will need to do stuff

He didn’t brake 21k on bat ... low 20’s ... he should have took it

I think I’m going to pass altogether. Too many red flags and he’s asking too much.

I want Freeborn Red anyway.

3-AB81934-9-AD6-40-A1-B9-E5-77-C540-B292-B7.jpg

That Ecuador truck needs the old magnet test... reaks of bondo..

That Ecuador truck needs the old magnet test... reaks of bondo..

Yeah, I'm passing on the Ecuador truck. Too many red flags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom