pre purchase feedback need 03, lx 470 224 on the clock. Pretty clean. AHC delete done, running regular suspension now. VA truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engine bay photos still show an AHC reservoir with fluid in it. Side photos look like the front is quite low.

I'd bet on a hack job AHC removal with AHC torsion bars still in place.

But, it looks cosmetically nice and is cheap. Are you willing to ship it, and/or prepared for a project?

Engine bay photos still show an AHC reservoir with fluid in it. Side photos look like the front is quite low.

I'd bet on a hack job AHC removal with AHC torsion bars still in place.

But, it looks cosmetically nice and is cheap. Are you willing to ship it, and/or prepared for a project?
shipping yes, project not really. What do you mean by hack job

shipping yes, project not really. What do you mean by hack job
As in it wasn't done properly. Part of the AHC delete would have been to remove the AHC fluid reservoir. Add that to the fact that the front end is what would be the Low setting of AHC, I would say something is amiss. If they didn't use the right parts, like non-AHC torsion bars and just stuck on some full rate Land Cruiser springs in the rear (very easy to swap out) then you could end up with this scenario.

It is very clean and the engine bay doesn't look rusty so I'd take a look at it. But for $12K I would expect a very good example. This one is going to need at least a couple grand to get the suspension right, at a minimum.

Reactions: MJK
12k seems like a decent buy If the extent of the interior and body cleanliness is matched by a clean underside of the vehicle and the mechanical elements. Honestly if they did a bad ahc removal to the extent that they forgot to remove the reservoir and they didn’t replace the ahc torsion bars with lc versions that would be small potatoes. Remove it yourself and get a $200 set of sway tb’s. Indy dealers will cut a lot of corners to get A Hot commodity vehicle on the lot With as little invested as possible.

If you are going to buy an AHC delete truck, make sure you know enough about what this entails so you can ask the appropriate questions of the seller.

If you are going to buy a truck with AHC, make sure you know enough about AHC maintenance so you can ask the appropriate questions of the seller.

If you are not prepared for a project, then you'll want a PPI. And I'd expect it to produce a several thousand dollar estimate for suspension and whatever else they find. Fluids/belts/ball joints/axles/bushings/steering rack etc. They almost all need something at this age - particularly if they have been dumped on a dealers lot.

Throw in tax, travel, shipment and you are at .... $17-18k maybe? I don't think you'll find a nice stock, rust free 03+ that needs nothing for $12k. So, maybe this is the one you want to take a risk on.

Personally, I'd just pay more for a better truck to start with.

I know Ryan is busy... But @OTRAMM is literally down the road from this Dealer. (3 miles)

See if you can hire him to do the PPI.

My old signature was... Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

A PPI is worth every penny... Good luck!

Now that I think of it... How can you replace the AHC shocks without emptying out the reservoir?

I'd be careful they just unpluged the AHC ECU so it doesn't show in the gauge cluster.

Now that I think of it... How can you replace the AHC shocks without emptying out the reservoir?

I'd be careful they just unpluged the AHC ECU so it doesn't show in the gauge cluster.
I saw pics of the regular struts installed

Reactions: MJK
I’m curious as to why that is bad? I’m still learning
This is just my opinion... So, take this with a grain of salt. ;)

The add says:

Self Leveling Suspension
Suspension Control - Electronic

But they tell you: AHC delete done. (from your title)

From the pics, as mentioned by others, it looks like it's sagging. The vehicle is idling, but the AHC display not showing on the cluster display.

Someone went to the trouble to remove that icon from the cluster... The seller might done this or the dealer might have done this. Who knows.

It doesn't feel right. IMO

This is a pic of my truck's AHC in the cluster.

AHC.jpg

If i may be so bold ....

Simply removing and replacing the OEM AHC struts doesn't constitute a proper AHC delete, even functionally. You need to find out (somehow) what torsion bars are now installed up front, and what coil springs are installed out back. Needless to say and worth pointing out, those OEM non-AHC shocks could very well be used parts with many, many miles of use already on them.

Used non-AHC torsion bars and rear coils are probably available in your area. The killer will be labor costs if you don't do it yourself.

As mentioned above by folks far wiser than me, there is definite risk in buying that rig.

If i may be so bold ....

Simply removing and replacing the OEM AHC struts doesn't constitute a proper AHC delete, even functionally. You need to find out (somehow) what torsion bars are now installed up front, and what coil springs are installed out back. Needless to say and worth pointing out, those OEM non-AHC shocks could very well be used parts with many, many miles of use already on them.

Used non-AHC torsion bars and rear coils are probably available in your area. The killer will be labor costs if you don't do it yourself.

As mentioned above by folks far wiser than me, there is definite risk in buying that rig.
I'm no way wiser... But it doesn't look right.

The first thing my mind went to was that they unhooked the line from the AHC strut and capped it which would be a horrible hack job but who knows...

OP: A PPI for a LX470 like this will pay you back 10x compared to not getting one and the truck having an unforeseen issue.

I just had a local shop delete AHC on my 99. I sourced OEM LC shocks and washers/retainers, OEM LC torsion bars, and old man emu rear springs. After all parts/labor I was in for just less than $1000. (TBs and springs were used). My accumulators, hard lines, and reservoir are still there (I’ll get around to taking them out at some point). So a proper delete does not involve as much as you’d think. I will say, the AHC icon not being lit on the dash is weird. I disconnected the AHC ECU, and my icon still shows on the dash. Although, if it’s just a suspension issue, that’s a relatively easy fix. My .02.

I just had a local shop delete AHC on my 99. I sourced OEM LC shocks and washers/retainers, OEM LC torsion bars, and old man emu rear springs. After all parts/labor I was in for just less than $1000. (TBs and springs were used). My accumulators, hard lines, and reservoir are still there (I’ll get around to taking them out at some point). So a proper delete does not involve as much as you’d think. I will say, the AHC icon not being lit on the dash is weird. I disconnected the AHC ECU, and my icon still shows on the dash. Although, if it’s just a suspension issue, that’s a relatively easy fix. My .02.
Great info thank you

According to Google maps I drive past that place twice a day. I've never seen a dealership there. If it's the building I think it it the only sign is for a cleaning service. That general area is nothing but super shady fly by night dealerships. I'd be super leery of anything there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom