Pre-purchase eval FJ62

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been a while since I darkened the door of mud, but I'm looking to become a cruiser owner again. I've owned a 100 and a 80 in the past.

I'm looking at the rig below. I would certainly do a first hand inspection before closing any deal, but if this rig is as described what would be a fair price?

Cons:
- transmission seal leak
- AC compressor out
- AC/Heat blower motor out
- windshield washer sprayer out
- rear breaks are about done for
- 230k miles
- front bumper damage

Pros:
- clean
- 2 owner
- rebuilt transmission at 170k
- 99% original

Would $6,400 be a fair price? I want to bring this rig back to 100% mechanical and near-100% cosmetic condition. My budget would be around $5-8k for the fix up. I know it's hard to predict, but am I on the right track.

Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated.

Ebay:
Toyota : Land Cruiser: eBay Motors (item 320537675638 end time May-30-10 22:23:21 PDT)

Photos:
1989 Toyota Landcruiser pictures by vdarkbloom_photos - Photobucket

Keep looking. You should be able to get a better deal.

Is there any price at which that rig would become a good deal considering my purpose of making it a DD for a 4 mile commute and light-duty trail riding?

It's been on ebay for a while, he may take $4k.

The deal breaker for me would be the trany. If a shop rebuilt it 60K miles ago and it's leaking, I'd assume worst case and deduct the cost of a rebuild, 2-5K. Consider that it may already have the 2K rebuild. If you still want to pursue the truck, ask for receipts and find out who rebuilt it. Ask the shop what the rebuild consisted of, why it's leaking and what it will cost to make it right. Check on the reputation of the shop. If it's an independent trany shop with a good reputation and they’re willing you work with you, that's one thing. If the rebuild was done by a chain or the mechanic only R&R'd the trany and got it from a third party, that's cause for being completely skeptical about the value of the work.

A complete AC repair at a shop is about 1K.

Make sure the owner has a current smog cert.

Is there any price at which that rig would become a good deal considering my purpose of making it a DD for a 4 mile commute and light-duty trail riding?

I think this would be a good deal at $4k. Others may disagree, but based on your posts it looks like your looking for an unmolested original rig and the vehicle history tends to point towards that. You can find rigs out there for $4k with $2k to $3k worth of aftermarket options, bumpers, lifts, etc. Those vehicles also have rust or other issues. KellyBlueBook private party value is about $3000.

x2 on IH8Wood's comments.

I just smogged my 88 fj62 and failed the first try cause the gas filler neck had to be replaced ($180 part) 20 years of fill ups had worn down the threads where the cap fits. Point being CA is getting tougher on smogging these vehicles.

I'm not by any means the final arbiter on what is a fair deal. I am just giving my opinion based on my own limited experiences with Land Cruisers. I paid $4k for my FJ62 a few years ago and it had about half the miles and was every bit as clean. Also, everything worked on mine; nothing was broken.

My 2 cents: I think the seller of this truck has it overpriced. It's a 22 year old truck with 240,000 miles on it, and a list of known problems. I would think a fair price is around $3k; half of what he wants for it. So I think you should keep shopping. This is a nice time to be Cruiser shopping. The current economy and $3 a gallon fuel price favor the buyer of one of these rigs! If you are up in the $6 to $7 k price range, look for an FZJ80.

(BTW, he says "last year for this classic model". He is factually wrong on that point. The FJ62 was produced for the 1990 model year, too.)

Anyway, that's my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions! :)

Good luck!

I think I'll pass based on the consensus here.

The response I need is "I didn't already have my FJxx I'd be on that" or "If I had the $..."

Sounds like there are better rigs to be had. Thank you for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom