Pre-purchase advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.toyota-4runner.org
Hi everyone! So to start things off, I currently have a 3rd gen 4runner, but have been looking at upgrading to an 80 series recently as I've always loved the look and could really use the extra space for camping (plus a million other reasons). I've been talking to a guy that's local to me that has one, and I took it in to a shop nearby to have a pre purchase inspection done on it. They found what appears to be a leaky head gasket on it, as the coolant was low and they found hydrocarbons in the radiator (>40 PPM). It's also leaking oil from pretty much every seal, so I guess this is where my question comes in. I'm currently debating (if I even buy it) between pulling the motor and doing a full refresh on it, or should I just pull the head and replace as many seals as I can without pulling the motor? If I do buy it, I'll be selling my 4runner and using whatever money I have left over to start fixing this up (which I'm hoping will come out to ~4-5k), so I'm trying to do everything as budget as possible, but while still doing it the right way. I want this to be reliable as possible, so I'm leaning towards a budget engine rebuild, but I'm not sure if that's doable within my budget or not. I've attached the list from the pre-purchase inspection, so I guess I'm just looking for some advice. Would it be doable to fix most of the issues on that list with a budget of ~$5k, or is that unreasonable? I'll be doing pretty much all the work besides any machining myself, so I'm just looking for some advice between keeping my 4runner or if this project will be doable within that budget. Thanks in advance!

1677262903707.png

Just pull the head and do it yourself.
Have the head refurb'd before reinstalling.
Only Toyota parts
Replace every rubber part in the engine bay.
Don't have to pull the engine to do what needs done.
Look up the list of normal things needing done as PM on these.

What year? Makes a HUGE difference in what we're looking at here.

Assuming it's an fzj80, most of the work of pulling the engine is done by the time the head is off. Even if you aren't doing any bottom end work, it's nice to have it out for resealing the pans, front and rear main, and cleaning up the engine bay

Just pull the head and do it yourself.
Have the head refurb'd before reinstalling.
Only Toyota parts
Replace every rubber part in the engine bay.
Don't have to pull the engine to do what needs done.
Look up the list of normal things needing done as PM on these.

What year? Makes a HUGE difference in what we're looking at here.
Got it, wasn't sure if it would be worth it to pull the motor to get at the rear main seal, or if the oil pan is leaking (which I think it is) I wasn't sure if that's a PITA to do with the axle and everything else in the way as well. I'm planning on doing a new water pump, oil pump seal, valve covers, etc (like you said, any PM that needs to be done) so I wasn't sure if it would be easier to pull it at that point to avoid working with a bunch of stuff in the way.

As for the year, it's a '95 FZJ80 with the 1fz

Assuming it's an fzj80, most of the work of pulling the engine is done by the time the head is off. Even if you aren't doing any bottom end work, it's nice to have it out for resealing the pans, front and rear main, and cleaning up the engine bay

That's kind of what I was thinking as well. I figured by the time I had everything out, it wouldn't be much more work to just pull the whole thing so I can pressure wash it and be able to see any future leaks, and it would make it a lot easier to fully reseal the motor. Almost the whole engine is covered in oil as it's leaking from anywhere it can, so I didn't really want to deal with working around everything else in the engine bay, and it would be nice to get in there and really clean things up. I just wasn't sure if it typically spirals once the motors out, but I guess there's no way to know until I have it out and can check the short block out.

I concur with what others have said...remember these were made to be worked on in all conditions and most service is doable with little contortionism involved.
One thing I noted that IMO is worrisome is that it says there is an airbag issue. This could be a small part or indicate other problems. I would ask the owner if it has been in an accident. Is there only a warning light but no code present for the airbag? If not, why?
These are great vehicles and owning a 4Runner you know they are capable but they are getting old and all but the rarest have higher mileage and will entail maintenance. The decision to buy is up to you and if the price is right (all things considered) I would say go with your gut.

Yes i'd say so with you doing all of the work besides machining on the head. There are two oil pans and they can be done with engine in as well.
Upper takes more work but still doable
Typically it's the upper pan leaking and not the rear main

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom