Pre-Mature Motor Mount Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishTown

TLCA Member #29560
Threads
Replaced my front motor mounts about 5 years ago. The other day I heard the fan hit the shroud again when accelerating from a stop. It also pulled enough to rip apart my half-assed splice job on my fuel cut-off/idle solenoid. What’s the deal? Bought them from Cruiser Corps but they were OEM I believe. Would the rear motor mount allow the same kind of movement? Anyone else had pre-mature failure of these mounts? Or is there a good way to see which mount has failed so I’m not buying all 3?

Last edited:
You might have got a dud mount, or oil has weakened it. Jack up the engine close to each mount will soon tell you if it's busted. It's probably the mount opposite to where the fan has been hitting the shroud.

I have broken two, one OEM and one quality aftermarket (from cruiser outfitters) in a span of 10 years. Both driver’s side front. I do not hit anything all that hard in this truck, either. I think they just go sometimes, which is why some guys replace with a big bolt or chain (or combo).

Probably the driver side mount has failed, when it goes it allows the engine to torque toward the passenger side resulting in fan hitting the shroud. Is the mount soaked with leaky ATF from the power steering pump or lines?

Yeah, that’s exactly what happened 5 years ago (except both front mounts went). Took me like 2 weeks to figure out what the noice was haha. I’ll look for fluid on the mount - that’s a good idea. I also vaguely remember reading about people doing the big boat mod, I may have to look into that. It’s too bad mounts seem to have doubled in price since last time - thanks COVID tax.

I’ve broken many motor mounts…both OEM & aftermarket. But NEVER since doing the following:

1) buy a cheap $20 motor mount from Rock Auto
2) cut off both studs of the motor mount
3) drill a ‘thru hole’ completely thru the motor mount
4) put in a grade 8 bolt in that ‘thru hole’
5) install your new motor mount

75080539-70DA-42A6-ABD7-C2BDB3CB2E6D.png

34DC8D96-D911-4C7A-89BC-5756BE79E082.png

409BF893-EF02-43F4-96B7-5E70AD969A9B.png

I’ve broken many motor mounts…both OEM & aftermarket. But NEVER since doing the following:

5) install new mount

Done. Thanks for the info.

^^^

It depends a lot on your gear ratios and a lot on how much ‘crawling’ one does in 1st gear.

I’ve got a non stock 4 speed & a T-Case with Mark’s gears giving me double the Craw Ratio of a stock USA 60. And maybe🤔 an undisciplined right foot.😄

Maybe they don't make em like they used to? AFAIK mine are original making them 35 years old. I've never busted one, and I do a bit of off roading.
Provably .. 30 years later Toyota stuff is not as good as it was IMHO

5) install your new motor mount

View attachment 2808788

View attachment 2808789

View attachment 2808790
Curious; do you notice any increased vibration transmitted through your frame?

@Spook50 gotta say yes a do. Not a whole lot, but it’s there. For me tho, it is well worth the small price. I did notice it when I 1st did this mod…I’m sure it’s still there, but I honestly don’t even notice it any more.

And no more broken motor mounts.

Curious; do you notice any increased vibration transmitted through your frame?
Good point. Would be nice to have some sort of bushing to go in the thru hole. But it would probably wear out pretty quickly. Thanks y’all for providing some good discussion.

Good point. Would be nice to have some sort of bushing to go in the thru hole. But it would probably wear out pretty quickly. Thanks y’all for providing some good discussion.
Not a bad idea. Maybe just a rubber washer underneath a thicker metal washer on each end of the bolt to absorb vibrations. My factory mounts are coming up on 34 years old so I might be in this predicament myself in the not too far future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom