pre emptive catalytic converters deletion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you keep the pipe running up over the frame, and where did you put the second oxygen sensor ?

Yes. Had a local exhaust shop friend make a bend to mate the 95'-'97 Y-pipe to the '93-'94 muffler. Both O2 sensors are in the PAIR blanks in the manifold.

My cats were good up until around 260K miles, still passed the smog checks with flying colors. Only reason I had to replace them is my HG blew a few years back, coolant went out the exhaust from the blowout in cylinder #6, I think all that hot liquid/steam hitting the hot cat internals fractured the ceramic (or whatever) inside. After that it sounded like someone shaking up a paint can full of gravel while driving, drove me nuts. Hoping the new cats will last just as long as the originals.

I deleted mine. Then after the combination of the exhaust smell and the more ricey sound of the engine - it went back on.

Yes, ditched the double setup. But one is def better than zero.
Am I supposed to be able to see through them? Like if I held a flashlight on one end should the light pass through or are there baffles?

Just trying to determine if they're junk or usable, never blew a HG but was burning oil before I rebuilt... Approx 240k on the odo

You won't see clearly, but you should see light.
I can barley see light and I can't separate them either.

Thoughts on this?

PXL_20201025_145841212.jpg

PXL_20201025_145958012.jpg

PXL_20201025_150014078.jpg

Years ago, I replaced my factory exhaust with a complete Bosal setup Y-pipe to tailpipe.

Some time after, I lost power and it turned out to be a clogged secondary cat.

Gutted it and I was good to go, but then my Y-Pipe started leaking at the split.

Replaced it with a brand new Magnaflow unit and decided to gut it as a PM cause I didn't want to worry about it clogging as well.

Drove fine for years, but did have a bit of a smell to it (I'm used to it given all my straight piped toys)

Surprisingly, she never threw a code and actually passed the NY sniffer with ease :smokin:

Recently replaced the muffler with a turndown (no tailpipe) and decided to install a new secondary cat due to the rust.

New cat seems to be better quality, so I'm hoping it will last.

bosalmuffler2020 (2).jpg
bosalmuffler2020 (4).jpg
bosalmuffler2020 (5).jpg
bosalmuffler2020 (15).jpg
bosalmuffler2020 (13).jpg

No bad fumes :cool:

Update!

Installed a new carb certified cat yesterday.

Let me just say....what a difference!

Completely new exhaust from the Y pipe back, including new packed muffler and resonator. I had the new piping muffler and resonator for a week before adding the cat, I can notice the difference.

This thing is quiet 😉 (for an 80) I can now hear my fan roar oppose to the exhaust.

There is a difference in flow, I can tell it's a little more restricted. However that loss I'm happy with considering the noise and smell is gone.

New muffler and resonator (cut down on the noise quite a bit)

Adding a cat back in the system (cut down another 20% ish of noise and the smell is totally gone)

I've now had loud exhaust, no cats. Quiet exhaust no cat, then quiet exhaust with cat. I'm happy with the results and will keep it this way.

High five @Broski 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom