Pre 85 transmission/tc to newer BH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
Will a 84 transmission/tc bolt up to an 87 bellhousing just fine? I know the bellhousing changed to the 3FE bellhousing mid-85. I have a newer 2f and bellhousing and my old transmission/tc.

Thanks!

Should bolt up just fine, but it is my understanding that the "3F" stamped bell housings rotate the transfer case clockwise when looking at it from the rear of the vehicle. This is the difference between the early (three piece) and late (one piece) crossmembers; they pair with a 2F and 3F bell housing respectively.

Sounds like you're wanting to put an 87 2F with "3F" bell housing in your 84 FJ60. To do this you will probably need to swap the bell housings.

As noted above.

Keep all the parts the same:

bellhousing : clutch arm : crossmember

So, I could keep the 3F BH and my trans/tc if I put the later cross-member in my truck?

So, I could keep the 3F BH and my trans/tc if I put the later cross-member in my truck?
Yes, you could but it’s not a bolt in affair. Cut the mounts off the other frame or make your own to attach to yours. 84 skid plate would no longer fit and your transfer case shifter might need to be altered as well. Much easier to swap the bell housings.

Yes, you could but it’s not a bolt in affair. Cut the mounts off the other frame or make your own to attach to yours. 84 skid plate would no longer fit and your transfer case shifter might need to be altered as well. Much easier to swap the bell housings.

Yeah, that sounds like way to much un-needed work. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom