Pre 85 5speed swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. Thank you for letting me join. Fairly new to the cruiser world so forgive me on occasional ignorance. Hoping someone could point me to the thread on 5 speed swaps. I have an 84 and know that the swap isn't as straight forward as it is on post 85/4 models. Im struggling to find the appropriate thread on what needs to be done in order to do it. Any help would be great

It's not an issue. Drive shafts need to be different lengths, but easy and the 84 t-case will work fine. I've done this exact swap into an 84. I posted some threads years ago about this, but now that H55f is in my FJ62.

Thanks a ton. I was able to find information scattered around and looks like drivelines from an 86-87 will work. Am I correct in that?
It's not an issue. Drive shafts need to be different lengths, but easy and the 84 t-case will work fine. I've done this exact swap into an 84. I posted some threads years ago about this, but now that H55f is in my FJ62.

Yes, those driveshafts will work.

Yes, but the flanges won't work so you'll need to get new ones for the T-case outputs and Differential inputs. Easier to just get the lengths of the ones you have changed at a driveshaft shop.

Awesome. Thanks for all the help. Now if I could just find an H55F

LOL-that's the easy part. Pick up the phone and call either Beno or Cruiserdan. Nearly instant H55f brand new in the box!

Gonna feel like the FNG for a while I think lol. Thanks for all the help everyone. Its what I get for being stuck in Tacoma land for so long.

Used H55f isn't worth it unless you're certain condition is good-to-go. Rebuilding one is difficult as a first-time DIY project, unless you're versed at making or obtaining the SSTs, and Toyo tranny parts are expensive. Buy new from one of the dealer vendors mentioned above and you won't be sorry. Personally, I buy lots of stuff from BENO. Search for that user name and his contact info is in the sig line advert.

I gotta add, the H55f is a great transmission.

The rod for the Lo and Hi is too short. You'll need to lengthen it for the new H55F.
The arm that shifts from 2wd to 4wd might be needed to changed also. (I had two in the garage and mixed them up, can't remember.)
The oiler that sits inside the T-case that oils the 5th gear needs to be installed.
The transmission shifter arm is not the same also. Buy it.
Marlin Crawler sells universal flanges that will fit all Toyotas.

Thank you all for the imput.
Bottom line it looks like is
Easy way: Find t-case and drive lines from 85-87
Or do some T-case work and driveline mods.

You need to do more research.

You do not need anything but the H55 and a few parts.

Your transfercase is fine like it is. You do need the later transfer case shifter, or install a twin stick set up. The later shifter after 4/85 will work. With that said, it is worth the $125 to get a rebuild kit for the t-case and replace all the bearings. The little plastic oiler cup is a stock Toyota item. Go talk to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters local to you. He's a good potential source of the rebuild kit and the later t-case shifter.

You do need the H55 specific transmission shifter too. This is a stock Toyota item. A new Toyota 5 speed shifter knob is a nice touch, but not required.

The drivelines can be extended typically for less than buying later shafts, and you can get heavier wall tubes which is also good. Every large city has a driveline shop. In my city, it's $100 to get a driveshaft re-tubed and balanced.

If you start messing with the flanges on the differentials, you will mess up the preload on the pinion, basically requiring a rebuild of at least the rear differential.

And if you ignore my advice and get later shafts, I'll give you $100 for your front 84 shaft today to get you started.

Thanks Cruiserdrew. I will do my homework and emrse myself in all that is land cruiser. Thanks for all the help everyone. Its going to take a while to figure out all the nuances of these beasts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom