Prado (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Merry Christmas fellow cruiser-heads.

Time to say goodbye to my wifey's Pathfinder so we are looking to buy an economical run-about that is 4x4, diesel and seats a soccer team (LOL).
Of course I figure a Land Cruiser could fit the bill, so I'm asking for your input regarding options along that line.

There is a 91 Land Cruiser Prado that has been for sale in Guelph for some time.
Does anyone know about this particular vehicle, or even much about the Prado line at all?
Ditto for the Prado in Orillia...

Does anyone in the club even have one of these or know someone who does?

I'm looking to come up with a list of pros and cons.
Of course I would prefer an HDJ81, as would she, but there are none in the area.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Ian,
you really need to learn to use the search engine here. there is a LOT of information about the PlayDo.
in a nutshell:
i have sold a few of them and can relate honestly about then since i REFUSE to sell them or the diesel Hilux Surf or pickup.
their engines are time bombs, this has become a proven fact over the last 4 years.
the repair bill is:
$1500 new head
$400 change over the valves
$2000 labor
$600 4 core rad
$400 new water pump
$150 new timing belt
$400 gasket kit
$40 coolant
$110 oil change (you really are not going to run with antifreeze contaminated oil?)
plus the tow bill since they never die in your driveway.

add to this they are gutless, not good on fuel and you begin to get the picture.

now, if you are looking for a 4 door Cruiser then a 60 series, 80 series or 77 series will fit the bill but these are MUCH more than the 78 series time bomb.

but what i recommend is the Pajero by Mitsubishi, the Strada or the Delica. i have sold a number of these with excellent results. the important point is to get a TRUE low mileage unit (not a roll back, roughly 60% of all vehicles comeing from Japan are roll backs), the best you can afford.

and

of course buy from someone reputable, not a fly-by-night, flash-in-the-pan individual. when we started importing in 2001 there were 3 importers, Mustang, Luxury and Lost Guide. Luxury bought out Lost guide in 2003 and then shortly after wards there were 54 importers in 2006. many are gone now due to the flooding of the market with poor quality units. these importers would sell a few then disappear.

on a side note:
i have met a lot of honest curbers and even more dishonest legal dealers. in any situation, you are buying from an individual so if you feel uncomfortable then walk away or if your gut screams "bull****" then run away no matter how good the deal.

i hope this helps.
cheers
Wayne

lol, if i had a dime for everytime Wayne did the 2.4 LTE schpeel...;) (did you just cut and paste that Wayne?!)

yeah, stay clear away from the prados Ian!

would you consider pickin one (hdj81) up from out west and driving it back? really not many in southern ontario unless you import it yourself, which could take a while...

c'mon Wayne, show him your strada if you still got it!

speakin of 80s, whatchu think of this one originally from outback imports...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/324742-1990-hdj81-5-speed.html

As usual, a search provides conflicting information, although it did provide your own favorable feedback regarding the Pjero as compared to the Prado Wayne.

The 81 series out West looks nice, but alas, it is out West... Thanks Romey

I have checked out a few Pajeros and so far and they fit the needs perfectly.
With only one actually seeming to have the mileage the odometer represents, I am contemplating that.

Keeping in mind that this will be a daily driver...
My questions boil down to parts and service:
I can do the basic stuff myself, but where do I get the parts?
Wayne?
If something serious happens, who can fix it? Not the local garages I use...
Any concrete information my searches reveal point to the Mitsubishi Fuso dealers.

Feedback?

Amu,
what is your budget?
what exactly are you looking for?
i have a 2 door sitting here with 20,000 km on it and the boys from the local club can look it over for you this weekend or you can make the drive up.
i do not sell s*** and i do not sell cheap, USUALLY if you want cheap then you end up with s*** and spend more fixing it than spending the money up front.
i have yet to meet a quality JDM seller in Ontario. Louis was dealing at one time but, if memory serves correctly, he is out of the game.

shop, shop some more and you might find what you are looking for.

parts: i supply parts for the Pajero.
service: i also service them but once again, i am not cheap.

HTHs
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom