Prado Turbo Diesel 2LTE 1990 Glow Plugs and/or Temperature Sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Gang!

Excited to be a part of the forum.

I just impulse bought a Prado Turbo Diesel 2LTE 1990. I love it, but have already had a world of problems. Two oil leaks, a fuel leak, a dead solenoid and hub issues.... YAY!

My new concern are both the glow plugs, or alternately the temperature sensor. It's been unseasonably cold here in Vancouver. About -10 C for the last couple days. When I start up the truck, in "Pre Heat" light has only been staying on for definitely less than 1 full second. I'm trying to remedy this by switching the vehicle on an off the get that little preheat going at least a few times before turning on the engine itself. Black smoke, either way.

My question is, with the "Pre Heat" light for the glow plugs being so minimal, is it likely that I should be changing the sensor first before the glow plugs?

prado.jpg

It seems the only way these trucks are bought is by unsuspecting, impulse buyers, haha. Most have never done any diy mechanicing, and are in for a hard learning curve.

Just keep in mind you've just bought something 30 years old probably with a number of previous owner inflicted and age related problems. It'll take a while to work through them. These trucks are best used as secondary vehicles.

Ignore the little glow light, it's useless. Listen instead for the glow relay which you will hear at about 7-8sec from turning the key on. Try a double glow in this frigid weather. On for 7 sec, off for one, back on for 7 sec, then start.

Now I'm assuming you're glow system is actually working and you don't have other common problems like air in the fuel system or maybe even low compression.

Make sure you're running 10w30 oil or even 5w30, 5w40 in this weather.

Change to 15w40 for summer.

It seems the only way these trucks are bought is by unsuspecting, impulse buyers, haha. Most have never done any diy mechanicing, and are in for a hard learning curve.

Just keep in mind you've just bought something 30 years old probably with a number of previous owner inflicted and age related problems. It'll take a while to work through them. These trucks are best used as secondary vehicles.

Ignore the little glow light, it's useless. Listen instead for the glow relay which you will hear at about 7-8sec from turning the key on. Try a double glow in this frigid weather. On for 7 sec, off for one, back on for 7 sec, then start.

Now I'm assuming you're glow system is actually working and you don't have other common problems like air in the fuel system or maybe even low compression.

I’m definitely on a big learning curve but fortunately I have some Landy friends with every tool I could need. Looking to learn a lot more. I’ll keep up the the double glow for now. Hoping to test the plugs once the snow goes away!

I’m definitely on a big learning curve but fortunately I have some Landy friends with every tool I could need. Looking to learn a lot more. I’ll keep up the the double glow for now. Hoping to test the plugs once the snow goes away!

Lots and lots of info on here too. I've owned mine for 10 years now, and am happy to share what I know.

These are actually really great trucks with a handful of key engine upgrades. I love mine every time I climb into it.

Hi Vanbc2lte i currently own 1991 Prado ex5 from day one i am having to fight this cold start rough idle and lots of white smoke( unburned diesel) over the years i have done many things to resolve this issue and spend over $1000 of dollars all the mechanics i have been to seems to have no idea of the issue but they kept the truck for few days and charged me 100s of dollars . its your glow system that not functioning properly causing difficult start and rough idle,smoke .
here is simple solution make short jumper(3ft) cable 16awg with an aligator clip on both ends and clamp one to the glow rail and other to the positive terminal of the battery. within 10 seconds you run to the the ignition and crank it up it starts right a a way without no smoke no rough idle etc once you start it up and running within 15 secs you would remove the jump lead completely off from battery and the glow rail . if this resolved your smoking proplem then you would be looking for wilson switch
there are few great write ups on the forum you can find. this would be the easiest and cheapest fix than going after the complicated 2 stage glow system your prado has
cheers

Thanks again! Starting to resolve some issues. I am having the worst time trying to find the link to your bible of builds to improve my truck. I want to get started on an oil catch can pronto. It seems that the leaking is just going to have to be a part of life on my truck right now. But I'd like to keep it as clean as I can while work continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom