Prado door on Gx rear door ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do you think a ballpark estimate for painting is? Have you got that far yet?

Im expecting around $300-$400 for paint/install.

Looks I’ll reuse the spoiler, third brake lamp, hinges and shock. I might have to give up the rear wiper. I haven’t seen any Japanese / Australian models with the wiper. I don’t know if that’s because it’s simply not an option OR if the provisions for the rear wiper are not even there. I also know I’m going to have to give up the pop open window - on the 5th wheel - it’s just a fixed piece of glass (wheel physically limits the ability to open it). Thinking about it now, I wonder if the wheel interferes with the wiper and that explains it’s non-existence.

The kit includes interior pieces - but I’m going to try and move over my stock Ecru. I’m not sure if this is the same or not. But I’ll find out.

Only other thing that’s been kicking around is rear camera mount. I believe the metal carrier for the wheel has a provision for it. But there are some other options from Kaon as well as some nice DIY setups I’ve seen.

For the rear camera, there are also the license plate mounts if all else fails.

For the rear camera, there are also the license plate mounts if all else fails.

That’s another options for sure! The only reason I don’t love that, is because the Prado offsets the license plate to make room for the wheel (think FJ Cruiser).

There’s an Aussie with a Prado that relocated his to the under side of the spoiler looking down. Suuuuuper slick install.

Reactions: r2m
That’s another options for sure! The only reason I don’t love that, is because the Prado offsets the license plate to make room for the wheel (think FJ Cruiser).

There’s an Aussie with a Prado that relocated his to the under side of the spoiler looking down. Suuuuuper slick install.
If you or a friend have some design skills and a 3D printer, you could make a nice looking mount for pretty much anywhere you'd like to mount it!

I'm curious if the Prado door option is actually better for the hinges compared to the JW style one bolted to the door. It's offset to the right, closer to the hinge and inboard to the door, resulting in less leverage. Is mounting the JW to the right (as opposed to center) an option?

I'm curious if the Prado door option is actually better for the hinges compared to the JW style one bolted to the door. It's offset to the right, closer to the hinge and inboard to the door, resulting in less leverage. Is mounting the JW to the right (as opposed to center) an option?
I’ve heard from a number of people that the JW setup is not robust enough for off-roading so the prado door should be considered the best option.

Out of the huge number of sold JW tire carriers to date, I have yet to see a real-world example of it not being robust enough for off-roading.
If we could get the JW tighter to the door. But that might not be an option to still allow the rear window to open. The option with the JW as well saves weight on the rear bumper as well. Is anyone seeing metal weld points on the door breaking loose? This was an issue on Jeep and their weak hinges.

@urj150 Any updates on this? Would love to know your impressions now that you’ve had some time with it.

Love it. Very happy. Everything bolted on and I have nothing but good things to say. No sagging and door operates as it should. Only complaint is the interior panels leave a little to be desired. The covers for the tool / storage don't always want to stay shut. Eventually, I'll try to source OEM, but for now and the past 6-8 months, things have been hunky dory.

Just realized this thread doesn't have any pics of the install...
IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

More over here:

View attachment 2900238
View attachment 2900239
View attachment 2900240

More over here:
That looks amazing!

View attachment 2900238
View attachment 2900239
View attachment 2900240

More over here:
Does the rear glass still pop (open) up?

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but max tire size that will fit on the door?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom