PowerTrays Mounting In 2019 LC200 (Redarc BCDC Coming Soon) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After posting my PT install in the "What Have You Done To Your 200 Series This Week" I received some requests for more detail. I didn't go into the project with a documentation plan, but here's what I did along with some photos. This information has been shared with Maverick (owner of PowerTrays) as well.

The top of the fusebox is a common mounting location for sPOD relay units. I will be mounting a Redarc BCDC unit in that spot, so I really wanted to make a PT work.

Since PT doesn't offer a version for our 200s, I spoke with Maverick and send hime some photos of the engine bay. He advised that the 5th generation 4Runner tray looked like it should be a fit.

When I received the PT, it became clear that it wouldn't work in my LC. There are some electrical components mounted inboard toward the engine that would be in contact with the tray, and I was concerned that vibration would damage them. Here's a picture of the assembly and how the PT would interfere:

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: SSG
Turning the tray over did not eliminate the issue either. . .the bottom of the tray still contacted the wiring from the electrical assembly. My first engineering attempt was to bend the tray without any type of cutting. I don't have a vise, so I used the edge of my workbench and closet door to make this change. Luckily, the PT is aluminum and while not "easy" to bend, I was able to do it. However, I wasn't happy with the appearance as the bend on top of the tray wasn't straight. There was also no practical way to attach the "foot" of the tray to the top of the wheel well:

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

Last edited:
Given my OCD with the bend, I was hesitant to start cutting, especially without a table saw, but I gave it a shot anyway. I used an oscillating cutter to trim the tray along the most inboard slot, at the location of my initial bend. I then used a handheld power sander to straighten and smooth the cut. The tray mounts to the inner fender wheel with 2 bolts (the left-most bolts in this photo). The third bolt, to the right, is a chassis ground for electrical. The slot for the right mounting bolt and chassis ground needed to be enlarged slightly to allow alignment.

IMG_0182.JPG

Last edited:
That left the support leg to be dealt with. The leg that comes with the PT has slotted holes in each end, one larger than the other. I bent the leg in a closet door to a "Z" configuration, and used the mounting bolt of the electrical assembly to secure it. I used 3M VHB on the top of the leg to attach it to the bottom of the PT. It worked perfectly.

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom