powersteering issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I have the standard saginaw powersteering that is commonly installed on landcruisers with a 4 bolt box and standard style pump turning 35ats on 8 inch wide rims. th steering works good with the revs up a bit but still is a bit stiff. so I added a cooler flushed all the fluid out and refilled with lucas oil powersteering fluid and standard powersteering fluid. and am still not too impressed with the power assist. I do have a fairly small steering wheel but I thought the steering would be a bit better than it is. so now I am thinking of doing the ps pump mod thats in the tech links to overboost the pressure. is this ok to do with out having hydro assist?? does anyone have the same sort of issues with their setup??

any ideas on how to get some power in the steering without going to the ram assist?

Try replacing the pump first, because they are cheap and it is not like a Saginaw box to have too little assist.

i agree with pin_head try a new pump they are cheap and easy to do. i have the same setup you have with 35's and a small steering wheel and can turn the 35's with one finger.

greencruiser said:
I do have a fairly small steering wheel...

Are you talking about a 10" diameter chain wheel??

Are you moving when you are trying to turn or sitting?

What is your tire pressure?

All these things will effect your steering responsiveness...

You can modify your pump as is described in the tech links. Read it a few times, and do it. Follow them, and you should not have any issues, or replace it, and then modify the new one...

You should not have to put a lot of effort into turning with a properly functioning saginaw system...

Good luck!

-Steve

11 or 12 inch grant steeringwheel and i have been testing it not moving on pavement with tires at 20lb

it works good when its moving ill get a new pump to try

I might need to get a new box aswell cuz the one I have was out in the rain and some water might have got in are these boxes easily rebuildable??

Same issue here. Replaced the pump and it turned out to be the box. Luckily, had a spare lying around. Fixed it. BTW I believe a bad box will make the new pump work harder, heat up and kill it, the cooler may prevent it.

the 4 bolt boxes are very rare around here but not the three bolt ones

i might try a three bolt box I think it will mount up the same and should still have decent power

greencruiser said:
11 or 12 inch grant steeringwheel and i have been testing it not moving on pavement with tires at 20lb

it works good when its moving ill get a new pump to try

I might need to get a new box aswell cuz the one I have was out in the rain and some water might have got in are these boxes easily rebuildable??

You can get the box rebuilt from Autozone: ATSCO 6529 Power Steering Gear $152.99. THat's the 4 bolt 4 turn box.

You can also try boosting the pressure from the pump by following these directions:

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

I have done that and i have found that mines got good power pretty much anywhere, but it doesn't feel overboosted (which I find is a common issue with saginaw PS).

As usual
YMMV

Hope this helps.

just curious , how are the trunions ? any undue forces , like does it turn freely with drag link unhooked ?

did you do cut and turn when doing SOA ?

I didnt cut and turn but my axle but its at the stock angle and my driveshaft is at a harsh angle but it works fine. I did a full rebuild and 4xlabs steering before i got it on the road

the steering works real smooth when the wheels are jacked up off the ground but when its sitting on the tires its stiff unless its rolling

I will probly end up replacing the box and the pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom