power window/sunroof - no power? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a problem with my 98 LC. The windows and sunroof will not work. I checked the 40A fuse on the driver side kick panel. The fuse is good and there is power to that fuse socket.
Is there a second fuse or a relay that is in this circuit that I am missing? Any ideas?

Notice that you are in Reno. I used to live there in 2006. Graduated from UNR.

How about the door locks? If those are working the driver's door is getting power. As far as I remember the driver's door switch has two positive wires coming in. Did you check those for power? Isn't the fuse is 25A?

The door lock circuit receives direct power from the battery (without the key in "on" position). The window circuit however, gets power when the key is in ignition at "on" position. So, there are two wires coming into the driver door switch panel. Check the power at the switch. There should be two thick wires coming into the switch. Check whether both wires receiving 12 V.

I checked the door switch plug with a test light (ign off) and when I ground the wires- 2 wires sound like they are door lock related and then another wire is hot. When I turn on the ignition no other terminal show power. The other problem is the sunroof is not working. I checked the fuse which is a 40A and listed as (power door lock control, power windows.moon roof and power seat) The power lock and seat adjustment work.
There must be another fuse in the window/moon roof circuit but I cannot find it.

This may or may not be related: I had another circuit problem as the 15A fuse that is in the DS kick panel which is listed as #40(ECU-IG) anti-lock brake, shift lock and power seats But when that fuse would blow I would also lose the power windows. I replaced the fuse several times and eventually pushed the plugs on the shift lock system more snuggly. It has not blown again but not too long after that I lost the Power Windows.

Go Wolfpack!

The window circuit only receives power when the ignition is on so I think another fuse is blown. I do not know what could that be, but why not check all the fuses with the test light. Make sure to check both posts on a fuse to make certain the fuse is functioning. I use the Ohm mode in a multi-meter to check fuses.

Yes, I pulled most of the fuses and they all looked good and I plan to check them for continuity. I was hoping
that a relay or fuse is involved that I am unaware of and that someone else on the forum may know of it.

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your windows and sunroof? I just took my stock security system out and along with all my carpet, seats and dash because I’m putting down some soundproofing, but now my windows or sunroof won’t work; my locks work!

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your windows and sunroof? I just took my stock security system out and along with all my carpet, seats and dash because I’m putting down some soundproofing, but now my windows or sunroof won’t work; my locks work!
Just a shot but is your window lock pressed? My driver side window and sunroof work when pressed but other years may be different. My 4Runner locked all windows when pressed.

Just a shot but is your window lock pressed? My driver side window and sunroof work when pressed but other years may be different. My 4Runner locked all windows when pressed.
It is not pressed, I checked last night on that switch. Also, I removed an old aftermarket radio and I found a weird relay behind the stereo that did not look factory, as it had a bunch of spade connectors linked to it. :/

@John Beauvais Old thread, but new info. On your 98 LC the power windows and sunroof get power via the 40A Power Fuse and through the Power Relay which is activated by the Instrument ECU. So even if the fuse is ok a bad relay will cause them to not work. The door locks, rear vent windows, lights, and everything else are powered by other relays/fuses.

@John Beauvais Old thread, but new info. On your 98 LC the power windows and sunroof get power via the 40A Power Fuse and through the Power Relay which is activated by the Instrument ECU. So even if the fuse is ok a bad relay will cause them to not work. The door locks, rear vent windows, lights, and everything else are powered by other relays/fuses.

Thanks for the reply, but I did manage to figure it out a couple months ago. Also, anyone else having issues with this I will pass this information on, which I struggled with. My issues was the factory alarm system I removed and there was a harness that wasn’t connected underneath the steering column. My brother helped me take stuff out, so I didn’t see this part get unplugged. 😂 thanks for the reply @Ayune and hopefully this might help others in the future.

Thanks for the tip. I have been screwing with this problem and a relay makes sense. I have the kick panel off and I assume the power relay is on the back side of the fuse panel. I hope to work on it soon.

Thanks for the reply, but I did manage to figure it out a couple months ago. Also, anyone else having issues with this I will pass this information on, which I struggled with. My issues was the factory alarm system I removed and there was a harness that wasn’t connected underneath the steering column. My brother helped me take stuff out, so I didn’t see this part get unplugged. 😂 thanks for the reply @Ayune and hopefully this might help others in the future.
I have had problems with the alarm system also. How did you disarm it? Any tips would be appreciated.

I have had problems with the alarm system also. How did you disarm it? Any tips would be appreciated.
I’ve never had an issue disarming it; however, I don’t think mine ever went off either. But I took everything out! The harness under the driver seat with the unit and everything else under the steering column and I never had any issues afterwards.

Is your vehicle not turning over now or something? What are you experiencing?

Hi John, My son and I are rebuilding a 1991 4runner and we ran into the same thing. Windows and sunroof won't work but the rear window and door locks work. Please send me the info you did to resolve your issue. We did take out an aftermarket alarm a year ago so I am hoping this will fix it. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom