Power to trailer wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I read all the trailer wiring threads, thank god i did because the recall was not done on my truck. Anyway my question revolves around where the heck to I run the charge wire for the battery in the trailer????

I was told by some folks to go direclty to the alternator, and some to the positive of the battery and other thru the fuse box. I plan on running 10awg but need a connection poin under the hood.

Any thoughts???

I would go directly to the battery with a fuse close to the terminal. Sure as heck not to the alternator...

Mine goes directly to the battery as well with 15 ot 20 amp fuse...

Battery for sure. Get an in-line fuse holder and put a spade right on the end of it to attach to the battery cable.

And run a substantial sized wire. I'd probably run at least an 8 gauge wire. I also use 30-40 amp fuses for this application. I like to go off the positive terminal of the 2nd battery.

You guys rock thats exactly what I needed.

I went to the dealer and bought another 50 amp fuse to go in the fuse block at the positive cable. I then ran 10 gauge back along the frame rail to the trailer connector.

This is also a good opportunity power feed for an isolated trailer light relay and non-switched 12 volt outlets in the rear. Put it all in the left rear corner, right below the existing 12V outlet.

It always starts with running a wire for one thing, pretty soon you have a cluster of wires hooked to the battery. I wish I had installed a sub fuse block when I installed my first accessory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom