Power to trailer wire

Hey guys,

I read all the trailer wiring threads, thank god i did because the recall was not done on my truck. Anyway my question revolves around where the heck to I run the charge wire for the battery in the trailer????

I was told by some folks to go direclty to the alternator, and some to the positive of the battery and other thru the fuse box. I plan on running 10awg but need a connection poin under the hood.

Any thoughts???

e9999

You want to do what...?

I would go directly to the battery with a fuse close to the terminal. Sure as heck not to the alternator...

Battery for sure. Get an in-line fuse holder and put a spade right on the end of it to attach to the battery cable.

ginericLC

Wagon Wheeler!
SILVER Star

And run a substantial sized wire. I'd probably run at least an 8 gauge wire. I also use 30-40 amp fuses for this application. I like to go off the positive terminal of the 2nd battery.

I went to the dealer and bought another 50 amp fuse to go in the fuse block at the positive cable. I then ran 10 gauge back along the frame rail to the trailer connector.

This is also a good opportunity power feed for an isolated trailer light relay and non-switched 12 volt outlets in the rear. Put it all in the left rear corner, right below the existing 12V outlet.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

It always starts with running a wire for one thing, pretty soon you have a cluster of wires hooked to the battery. I wish I had installed a sub fuse block when I installed my first accessory.

Top Bottom