Power to the people......eerrr i mean power to my fridge! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With a camping trip coming up it was the perfect excuse to get me the fridge I've always wanted. Another excuse is it's for our trips to Asian market over an hour away. Of course I made sure she get something shinny and expensive fist(that's another story) granted it was costly but the plan worked wonderfully with no words about the fridge from the CEO/CFO.

Now when I go camping I can't possibly run it off the cig lighter plug which is off when I remove the keys so direct power to rear of the 80 is on order!

Here are the parts I used:
8 gauge amp power kit
Blue sea 6 connection fuse box with negative
Blue sea cig sockets

Here is what I did:
1. The reason I ordered the amp kit is because it is cheaper and easier to find then just plain 8 gauge cables and comes with connectors and main fuse! It also came with a firewall gourmet which made it look professional. So I ran the power cable from battery through firewall(my LX had an unused firewall plug) cross/under the console, through the square factory cable conduit under the door trims. Then through the holes i drilled on the bottom of that little storage box on the passenger side rear panel. The main 50A fuse is installed about 12 inches from the battery. The kit came with 18ft of cable and I came darn close to using every bit of it. Wish I order a kit with 20ft power cable. The negative is bolted to the third row seat seat belt anchor.

2. Mounted the blue sea fuse box inside the storage box to be out of the way and easily accessible/visible, it really is the perfect place for it.

3. Drilled 3 holes on the bottom for power cables, 1 positive, one negative and 1 for the accessory cables.

4. Drilled 2 larger holes for the blue sea power socket, I happened to have a small keyhole drill bit I used to drill hole on my sink for water filter.

After some minor mistakes and wasted time looking for things I dropped/misplaced I was finally done, fridge plugged in and compressor is humming along chilling couple bottles of water. I now have another power socket for anything else needed constant power, right now it is connect to a power meter. And I still got 4 more fused connections left on the fuse block. Granted it is a complete over kill but hey it's a hobby. :)

Couple of lessons learned that can definitely make things better and faster if anyone else tries to do the same thing:
1. Order the amp kit with 20ft of power cable, it came close so I didn't leave enough slack at the firewall. Now it is a bit harder to adjust how I ran cable in the engine compartment.

2. I bought solid core accessory power cables, I figure it has more copper and can carry more current. Well turns out same gauge wire carry the same amount of current and solid core cable is pain in the ass to work with and just about impossible to crimp a connector to! Stranded power cable is the only way to go, I might just rip it out and replace with stranded cables later once I source the right cables, but is is working now. Tomorrow when I find some double sided tape I will stick the voltage meter on the fuse box cover and wire it to one of the fused connection so I ave constant voltage reading. I think it is cool but for the most part useless. Haha

Here is what is looks like without the cover:

image-4013604225.jpg

IMG_2189[1].jpg

IMG_2186[1].jpg

IMG_2187[1].jpg

IMG_2183[1].jpg

Last edited:
It looks good and congrats whit the new freeze.

Just making sure that you are aware that you are supposed to have a fuse in the other end at the blue wire? So if your are pulling it directly from the battery you should have a fuse as close to the battery as possible.

It looks good and congrats whit the new freeze.

Just making sure that you are aware that you are supposed to have a fuse in the other end at the blue wire? So if your are pulling it directly from the battery you should have a fuse as close to the battery as possible.

Yup, another reason to buy an amp kit, it came with everything. I also updated my first post with more details, I just started it with my iPhone because the picture is on my phone.

If anyone else is interested on how it's done I can take more pictures tomorrow. Overall it is pretty simple job as long as all the right tools is at hand, gotta lose the 7 dollar harbor freight interior panel tool!

A better place to run the cable is along the sill under the plastic strips in the door openings. If you pop one off you will find that this is where the factory wiring is installed. Better protection for the wiring as well. I installed a twin 10mm (7awg) cable from the power outlet box next to the right side battery to the same place using this method to power my fridge as well.

A better place to run the cable is along the sill under the plastic strips in the door openings. If you pop one off you will find that this is where the factory wiring is installed. Better protection for the wiring as well. I installed a twin 10mm (7awg) cable from the power outlet box next to the right side battery to the same place using this method to power my fridge as well.

You are correct, I actually did route it that way right along the factory wire bundle and even put plastic conduit when it crossed the fame. thanks for pointing that out, i corrected my first post it was late when I was posting last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom