Power tilt and telescope both not working. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jdfern

SILVER Star
Threads
When I bought this 2003 LC with 226,000miles , both the tilt and telescope features were not working (as well as a lot of other things too). The telescope is in a decent position so I'm gonna just leave it for now, but I just drove it on a 1500 mile trip and the tilt is stuck in a bad position for me. It blocks the turn signal indicators, top of speedometer, and and a few other things.
I would like to some how adjust it manually into a better position and leave it there until i can afford to repair it.
I see the telescope motor, but I don't see the tilt motor the FSM does not help with the location.
Can anyone describe where this tilt motor is, or have any suggestions to adjust the tilt manually?

Thanks

**Solved** I took it apart again and learned how to adjust the tilt manually.
The motor is located almost center behind the steering wheel.
Remove two 6mm allen screws, from both sides, you can now lift the steering wheel into the desired position and the motor can rotated (screwed in or out) until you line up the holes to reinstall the two 6mm screws. Now I can hold off for a while with the parts buying, My wife already calls my LC "The money pit". She just doesn't understand my obsession.

IMG_7437.JPG

IMG_6556.JPG

Nice fix, thanks for sharing.

On a side note, this just goes to show that power adjustable steering wheels and all the other non sense have no place on a true 'land cruiser'. Power this and that does nothing to add to the ruggedness, reliability, usefulness, and dependability of the Cruiser legacy.

Tackled a non-working tilt motor yesterday. Telescoping motor was working fine, but tilt non-responsive. No sounds, nothing.

As Jdfern posted above, remove plastic steering wheel housing, then take out two 6mm allen-head bolts, one on each side (green arrow points to left side). Remove the brown electrical connector (yellow circle). This will allow you to rotate the tilt motor down (red circle), free of the steering column.

Using just my hand, I tried rotating the body of the motor each way - it was super stiff. I could see the threaded spindle of the motor was not bottoming out in either direction, so I cranked on the motor a bit to loosen it up. Rotated motor so spindle was all the way in, then all the way out. Couldn’t see why it was so stiff, but rotating each way definitely freed it up.

Then I inadvertently bumped the four-way tilt-telescope lever slightly upward. The tilt motor came back to life!

Re-assembled everything and the motor is back to working perfectly. Not sure how much longer it will last, but at least I have the wheel where I want it and don’t plan on touching it.

Used Techstream to turn off the auto-telescoping function when the ignition is turned off/on.

D7116C86-0C0F-4103-A318-C38E481BCECA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom