Power supply to fuel cutoff solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1975 FJ45 (early 2F engine) stopped idling recently. Eventually I discovered that if I hard-wired the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carburettor, the engine idled perfectly. The solenoid is OK, it seems. When I plug it in to its regular part of the wiring system, there's little or no power getting through: I've measured 0.23V at the connection before the solenoid.

Does anyone know if the solenoid should be getting reduced voltage, or if it should get 12 volts or so?

The power supply comes via the so-called computer, which I haven't yet seen because I haven't gone rummaging around under the dash for it. I'm sure it's not a computer as we know them today! But anyway, jumping ahead to the next question I'll probably ask, if the computer is the fault, does anyone know if there's a fix of some kind? Can I bypass it? Or is a replacement available?

Thanks.

you should see 12+ volts at the solenoid.

We have limited electronics on the rigs up here and my 78 is just 12+ volts wired to the "ON" part of the ignition switch.

you should see 12+ volts at the solenoid.

We have limited electronics on the rigs up here and my 78 is just 12+ volts wired to the "ON" part of the ignition switch.
Thanks, Curt. Wiring it straight to the switch might be the smart solution.

Easy, as it turned out. Blown fuse. I think I've fixed it, but when I went to fire her up there was no power at all. 12V+ at the battery but nothing anywhere else, not even the lights or horn. Bugger. Main fuse is fine. I hate electrics.

Find the thread ----> Never Underestimate the importance of a ground.

If you're fuses are good that's what's in common with everything.

Also fuseable link may be blown as well as ground issue. If it blows you will loose everything as well. As for power to the idle solenoid should a place on the coil/igniter that gets 12 volts off the ignition switch. When I finally located a correct carb for my 68 after years of aftermarket carbs and early none solenoid I wired it the coil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom