Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

T

tnt40

Has anyone heard of or put power steering on a Fj40 from a Fj60? I know the gearbox is different, but everything else would mount up, right???

I am, as we speak, putting mini truck PS on my 40. I do not know much about 60's, but I'd guess that it is the same deal.
There is a great article in the Tech section by Jeremy on the whole thing. I bought Bill Dorry's box and pump mount and I'm real pleased. I'm also using a PS pump from a 80's Chevy PU and a pulley from a Volvo 240 DL, it has the wide groove like the Toyo pulleys.
I'm pretty pumped and hope to have it done by next weekend.
GL
Ed :)

First of all check the tech section here, then go to www.tlca.org, and do some searching there. There was an article in Toyota Trails written by Mark Whately, some time over last summer all about the FJ60 PS conversion. The conversion is by no means even close to a bolt on affair, it involves some welding of the frame, trimming of the inner fender and fabricating a new shock mount among other things, but I've heard that its quite beefy and can be done using almost all Toyota parts.

The FJ60 install is more or less the all Toyota version of Saginaw, you really need to read the Toyota Trails article, goes into good detail. Nothing about this setup is bolt on.
Minitruck is much easier, looks factory, but not as strong and retains the center arm.
That said, I will have minitruck soon, as a temporary solution for PS until I want to take the time to do FJ60.

We used the Hilux power steering set up in our BJ40 not dificult to do, the box only needs some extra bolt holes drilled n the steering colm needs shortening to suit the shaft from the hilux box, [use flex coupling]
the pump unit bolts straight on so no problems there[its high level one]
pulleys from BJ60 no problem
you have to fab a new top hose connection to clear the pump housing[so that it comes out straight]
get new top hose with 90 deg bend and cut to suit.
ours works well n not much cost,
no other mods needed
will send photos if you want as soon as i get the car back from the w/shop[now doing SOA conversion as per the SOA info
regds
Ron :cheers:

I would think the Pump and bracket would bolt righ up. They are both 2f engines. What do you know about using the Ford shock tower ? Thanks for all the input.

79+ 2F blocks have the bolt holes in the block, fj60 PS pump bolts right up. Can also do a mini truck box gut swap into a OEM fj40 PS box casting(guts are the same in mini and fj40), SWEET conversion and will bolt right up, no need to drill frame or use a bracket to mount the box, needs just one cut(and redrill hole for pin) on the steering shaft to shorten it up. USe new aftermarket($30) fj60 or fj40 high presure hose, small trany cooler(for PS cooler) Use fj40 PS belt. As close to OEM as you can get and it's bolt on(for the most part)

It's pretty much a bolt up affair. I have a 60 box and a 62 pump on my 76 fj40. It's better than the mini truck in that you get rid of another rod and the GD center arm. I used the 60 intermediate shaft and a pillow bearing. Box in the frame at that point and drill for the box.. only 79+ will have the holes for 60 pump, no biggie though if pre 79 then just add a saginaw pump or find a 62 in the bone yard and use that pump that bold on the passenger side at the 3 bolt frame hook. I can see if i have some pics somewhere.... let me know if you have any questions.

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=9955;start=msg88456#msg88456 date=1073784078]
I bought Bill Dorry's box...
[/quote]

Link? What is the ``Bill Dorry's'' box?

Sorry, that is confusing. Bill Dorry makes a mount for the mini truck/4runner ps gear box and one for the ps pump. They don't really apply to the 60 conversion. The mini truck conversion still utilizes the center arm.
Ed Long :doh:

[quote author=wesintl link=board=1;threadid=9955;start=msg89055#msg89055 date=1073941358]
It's pretty much a bolt up affair. .... let me know if you have any questions.
[/quote]

Can you share couple pictures of how you bolted on the steering box and the shock tower mounts?

Thanks.

/td

Thanks for all the info. The pics would be great. I'm glad I joined this site. Iwill have to evaluate all the info and pics. Keep the ideas comin.

I just have to say that I also will be putting fj60 power steering box and pump on my 40. I like keeping it toyota 8)

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=9955;start=msg88456#msg88456 date=1073784078]
....I bought Bill Dorry's box and pump mount and I'm real pleased. I'm also using a PS pump from a 80's Chevy PU and a pulley from a Volvo 240 DL.....Ed :)
[/quote]
Ed... how much did the bracket run you? Is the volvo 240 pulleys proven to work? ...going junkyarding this weekend, maybe I'll through this on the list on top of HEI distributor. Pulled a saginaw pump this weekend for 8bucks...can't beat that with a stick :D

Yo Han

[quote author=Ron link=board=1;threadid=9955;start=msg88642#msg88642 date=1073809129]
will send photos if you want as soon as i get the car back from the w/shop[now doing SOA conversion as per the SOA info
regds
Ron :cheers:
[/quote]

The SOA page updated with a bit more information today...make sure you've checked it!

The 60PS conversion is very similar to the Scout conversion.

if someone has done a 60 conversion and has pics, email them to me....I'd love to add that conversion option to the tech links!

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=9955;start=msg89604#msg89604 date=1074001112]

The 60PS conversion is very similar to the Scout conversion.

[/quote]

that's the main reason i've never written anything up.. Tien look at the scout converions, also look at a 60 for box mounting. Get the ford tower .. mount it next to the fender mount then put the box in front of that and drill your holes. Mark Whatley in the TT used a plate.. you can also just box in the back side. I rather wait til i move my box fwd and add the ford tower so I don't get a million dumb questions as to where my shock is. My original plans were to use a hoop mount but the ford tower is much easier and less expensive. As soon as i'm done (few weeks to month, weather and cruiser doesn't fit in the facilities)i'll send woody the pics..

[quote author=Yo Han link=board=1;threadid=9955;start=msg89603#msg89603 date=1074000773]
how much did the bracket run you?
[/quote]

I'd also like to pick one up, cost would be nice to know :-[

I have just finished a BJ60 power steering to my BJ40, the power steering pump didn't mount right up, but this is a diesel specific problem.

I placed the steering box just behind the front frame cross member, used a back plate and sleeved the bolts to prevent the frame from crushing under pressure, this is probably not necessary, but people with more skills than me suggested this so I did it anyway.

The shock mount has to be moved also otherwise the steering column will hit it. I grinded away the back rib on the shock mount and mounted a bit back on the frame, the front hole of the shockmount was now in line with the back hole in the frame (hope this is clear) this is not a problem for the shock as you can unbolt the top stud in the shock mount and just switch it around and make it face in the other direction.

Another thing I had a problem with was that the stock 60 pitman arm, had to much drop and had little clearance from the leaf springs, I replaced my pitman arm with a flatter one.

One more thing is that the 40 TRE's are smaller than the 60 TRE's so they won't fit the pitman arm. If you are not going to go all 60 TRE's then make sure you also get the 60 tie rod with at least one TRE, then you can cut the 40 and 60 tie rod in half weld them back up (not just weld, sleeve them and make some buttwelds also).

[quote author=diesel_cruiser link=board=1;threadid=9955;start=msg89790#msg89790 date=1074022948]
Another thing I had a problem with was that the stock 60 pitman arm, had to much drop and had little clearance from the leaf springs, I replaced my pitman arm with a flatter one.

One more thing is that the 40 TRE's are smaller than the 60 TRE's so they won't fit the pitman arm. If you are not going to go all 60 TRE's then make sure you also get the 60 tie rod with at least one TRE, then you can cut the 40 and 60 tie rod in half weld them back up (not just weld, sleeve them and make some buttwelds also).

[/quote]

you can get a 70 pitman arm for less droop or use the arm off the 40 flipped over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom