power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been having problems with my power steering making noises from lock to lock and have searched to understand how the whole system works. The power steering pump is fairly new, and it does not appear to be leaking. I visually inspected the power steering box and that does not appear to have any leaks either. I assume the box is the original. However, the two fluid lines that run between the pump and the box seem to have severe leaks. Would you suggest I replace these first to troubleshoot? The thing that is odd is the fluid reservoir appears to be full. What causes a steering box to go bad?.. if that is the possible problem. Can anyone direct me to a kit for the replacement lines or is this something I can piece together through CDan? Any input is appreciated.

Cdan or a local hydrolic shop can probably make them if you take the old ones to them. If the lines are leaking that badly they should spray. But more than likely its the pump going bad.

the only way to ensure that your PS pump it's fine it's taking the pressure and flow rate numbers .. other way it can be the problem ..

When I said it can be it's due to other factors on the steering system as TREs, knuckle bearings, or the stering box ..

You need to fix the leak ( or I least I would do ) and then fill it with new ATF fluid ..

If you think your problem is leaky lines, these might be the remedy!!!
saginawsteeringpg2-7.jpg

12.jpg

I had a heavy duty hose made for my 60 at a local hydraulic shop for $35.00 (2600 PSI) and after that, no more hose problems.:D

If you think your problem is leaky lines, these might be the remedy!!!
saginawsteeringpg2-7.jpg

12.jpg

Interesting. What kit would be correct for a 91 fj80 with a factory Toyota pump and gearbox? Thanks.
44416-FM
Hose Kit with16mm & 18mm O-ring fittings​
$142.74​
44416-FF
Hose Kit, with
fraction_58.gif
&
fraction_1116.gif
flare fittings​
$158.00​

Jim, Link? Little more info about them please.

You can port any power steering gear box to accept threaded/pressure fittings. Just takes good planning and good tools....

Not sure if the link to Downey (as presented on their page) would work for the LC 80 series gear box without some good modification....that said, the 80 series gear box is very similar to the 60 series gear box...

There have been a number of 80 series folks that have ported their gear boxes for either partial/full hydro: kirk/Bailey/Christo/Darren...IIRC, IBCRUSN is in the planning stages for some conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom