Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Saginaw Power steering box that has a bad leak. It looks like the leak is coming out of the back end of the box where the Steering column enters the box. I have read a few threads about this but have found no answers. The box has 71-75 Impala written on the side of it. Is it worth it for a newbie like me to try and fix it with a seal kit? or should i just replace the whole box?

I would replace it with a "lifetime warranty" reman from one of the chain stores.
JMO

Ed

ok thanks!

Is there a slip somewhere in your steering shaft(s)? I am no a Sag guy, but there can be a lot of flex and twist between body and frame and I think a slip of some sort would prevent excessive pressure on the box.
May be way out of line here....:doh:

Ed

Good catch, Ed. Slip yoke is a must in a noodly old FJ40. sometimes they are not there, and that is hard on the box.

The fact that it has writing on it indicates it came off a shelf at a junkyard. Exchanging it w/ a reman unit would be a good idea, IMO.

what is a slip?

Also, where specifically would ya'll go to replace it? I have found a few websites that look pretty cheap. I am goin to go to carquest on monday to see what they might have...I have also noticed alot of controvery over 2.5, 3, 3.5. I am not sure what all this means, but if i had to pick from the list on this page what should it be? The one with the highest ratio?

1975 Chevrolet Impala Power Steering Gear Box from DiscountSteering

Slip yoke in the steering shaft, allows the shaft to extend/compress as the vehicle flexes.

You want the highest numeric ratio, the stock 4.0. It's not actually the ratio, it's the number of turns, lock to lock.

ok i looked up what a slip is and i am still a little confused. if a slip is another point in the column where there are u joints coming together than i think i do. there is about a 3 inch rod coming out of the back of the dash that hooks into the longer rod that stretches about 75% of the total distance, then there is another u joint conection connecting to another short rod going into the box...

also of note, i have a leaky front left tire that got too low one time...could that have put stress on anything?

The steering shaft itself should have a slip joint. That means some sort of splines or shaped rod that allows the shaft to change in length as the frame twists. I get about 1/2 inch of movement in mine.

Slip yoke in the steering shaft, allows the shaft to extend/compress as the vehicle flexes.

You want the highest numeric ratio, the stock 4.0. It's not actually the ratio, it's the number of turns, lock to lock.

ok thanks, i am going to do a little shopping.

The steering shaft itself should have a slip joint. That means some sort of splines or shaped rod that allows the shaft to change in length as the frame twists. I get about 1/2 inch of movement in mine.

hmm... i have nothing like that...mine is very solid...

any pointers on a good source?

i just welded in the factory chevy slip joint from the vehicle i got the colunm out of. you can find one at a salvage yard, all old chevy's or other vehicles should have them. they collapse in the event of an accident so your colunm doesnt jump up and take out your face or chest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom