power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got the 350 in but cant figure out where sag pump goes I have rams horn exaust manifolds and an edlebrock high flow water pump and the brackets I got from a junk yard early 80's truck dont work any one have suggestions maybe what vehicle to pull brackets from or maybe fab some ???thanks

I think I used a bracket for an alternator... Some aftermarket, common looking arm, that bolted into the front of the head. I couldn't use the standard bracket because of the headers- no more thick exhaust manifold to hook onto... That probably doesn't help much- but it worked for me. :D
Zipp.

There are basically two "styles" of pump mounting on small block Chev's that I have seen. Older small blocks had the pump bolt to the block on the drivers side. I think somewhere in the early 70's they started mounting the pump to the water pump and the adjustment slot went to the Head or exhaust manifold. When they went to the water pump style they quit tapping the blocks but you can see where the belong in the casting. Late models have the serpintine style.

my 40 with a 400 sbc in, the high pressure line actually rubs on the steering shaft and sits partly below the frame rail.

not sure if this helps!

BTW I have the ram horn exhaust manifolds with the pump mounted to the water pump, and the adjuster bolts to the head

my water pump doesnt have any holes to mount the pump to so I geuss I need the old style going on sat. have to look for that

My 350 is a stock '69 so I didn't have the mounting holes on the water pump either. (I have Rams horns with the hole.) I replaced the water pump with a lifetime NAPA pump for a mid '70s 350 and salvaged the brackets to mount the steering pump low on the driver's side. The new water pump also allowed me to mount the alternator on the upper passenger side instead of that gangly high driver's side affair with the mile long belt that the early models had. :)

Sorry, just reread your post and realized you already bought a good water pump. I guess you're stuck with the old style steering pump mount then. I'll take a closer look this evening at my setup. (It's been a few months.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom