power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive done the search function, either my search language does not match up, or,.... Anyway, I've had my 97 for 14 months, (258k mileage) power steering never had any issues, ALL OF A SUDDEN, now I get noise and resistance when turning (direction does not matter). It sounds like fluid low, (no, I haven't checked yet, but I will). Assuming fluid loss is not the problem, I'm hoping the low pressure hoses, because $320 from for the high pressure hose from wits end is a little steep for me right now (and I've bought plenty from him, nothing but the best, not knocking his price, it is what it is, its a business not a charity), I'm just hoping for other directions to go in. I haven't seen any leaks, or other indication that the system has been compromised. Has anyone else had sudden onset of symptoms? and if so, what was the culprit?

First, check out what the actual problem is. You can get a new gates high pressure hose for $35 from Rock Auto.

Yeah I wish that stupid hose wasn't so damn expensive but I keep it in stock because I keep getting requests for OEM. Gates is ok but the other one from RockAuto, the chinese one, is actually complete hose kit with the bracket and Japanese hose.

You clearly need a new pump and steering box. Don't bother checking your fluid level, it would be a waste of time. Just get out your credit card.

Mine started to make groaning noises this past Christmas time. The fluid was almost black. So I did a full fluid exchange for fresh and the groaning noises stopped.
But that cleaned the crud out of the crevices and created a rear seal leak.... just warning you so if it happens you don't panic.

Mine started to make groaning noises this past Christmas time. The fluid was almost black. So I did a full fluid exchange for fresh and the groaning noises stopped.
But that cleaned the crud out of the crevices and created a rear seal leak.... just warning you so if it happens you don't panic.
Same experience with swapping fluid. Went from groaning to silent. Used AW-32 Hydraulic Oil during the swap and it worked great. Didn’t have the leak issue afterward.

Turns out just low fluid, but I also have no maintenance history from the prior owner. So, I will do a system flush if it ever warms up here in NY.

Turns out just low fluid, but I also have no maintenance history from the prior owner. So, I will do a system flush if it ever warms up here in NY.
You're s***ting me.

Its supposed to snow in Old Forge this weekend....
I was joking, just checked the weather and ... Its supposed to snow in Old Forge this weekend :rofl: :rofl:

So you were driving around with low fluid for the last 3 weeks?

Yeah I wish that stupid hose wasn't so damn expensive but I keep it in stock because I keep getting requests for OEM. Gates is ok but the other one from RockAuto, the chinese one, is actually complete hose kit with the bracket and Japanese hose.

Rein is the manufacturer of the hose with the brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom